UK only properties - New Fire Regulations in Holiday Lets- Discuss

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

UK only properties - New Fire Regulations in Holiday Lets- Discuss

Dear UK Hosts

Have you all seen the new legislation that has come in to force from 1st October 2023. I somewhat naively thought it would be reasonable and achievable actions that needed to tale place in order to comply. This a not the case at all. At this moment I am going to have to install fixed mains wired smoke and fire alarms in my cottage (battery ones not allowed) and potentially fit fire doors throughout the exit routes from bedrooms to front doors. I also need to change the locks on my front door to thumb turn locks that do not require keys. I also need to carry out weekly checks on fire alarm systems and these checks must be recorded. This is just the tip of the iceberg really but it likely to be thousands of pounds worth of work and even then it may be that my cottage is non compliant and I can no longer run it as my business. 

I cannot possibly be the only holiday let owner that is gobsmacked with this legislation and the fact that it has been bought in so quietly? By the way, failure to comply can result in up to 2 years in prison!! Yes read that again!

Personally, I feel this is an underhand way of getting rid of holiday lets and shared accommodation (so it includes the original spare room economy too). What are you all doing about it?

29 Replies 29
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexandra199 I estimate a £2000 cost for us.

Mains smoke alarms are easy as to fit as power is available at every ceiling rose. The required interconnection can be done by radio

Door locks  - We have found a roller door lock which is like a Yale lock except it doesnt lock automatically when the door shuts.

Weekly checks are very simple - just such the smoke alarm button.

You haven't mentioned fire blankets or extinguishers

Our risk assessment is complete and we have a while in order to get all the locks/alarms fitted.

I don't see this as an attack on holiday lest but rather a recognition that guests should be as safe as possible in a strange environment.

Do you not need to change your doors to fire doors? How about battery supported  lighting in the exit routes? 

Have you had a professional assessment undertaken?

@Alexandra199 Our doors are solid wood so meet the definition of a 'notional' fire door. We have plug in battery lighting that comes on if the power fails in the hallway and the same in each bedroom.

Given that there is no definition/qualification required for fire risk assessors we have chosen to follow the government guidance and created the assessment ourselves. Even if you pay for an assessment you are still liable if it is found to be defective.

I'm afraid you cannot just say that your doors are fire doors because you have decided they are. They have to be FD30 fire doors according to the regulations. This means that they have been tested and that they withstand against fire for 30 minutes. Unless your specific door has been tested to this level they are not compliant. It should also be noted that the door frames and seals form part of a proper fire door.

That said, I would be astounded that the numerous holiday cottages around the country are all going to be forced to remove their existing doors and replace them with factory made FD30 fire doors. It is impossible to do this in some cottages, especially those like mine that do not have standard size doors. I also think it is over kill along with some of the other regulations in this law. I will be leaving my doors as they are and advising guests to close them, which of course they wont. 

If the government set up a situation where I am closed down because my wooden doors aren't fire doors then so be it. Holiday letting will become a thing of the past and I will pay substantially less tax renting my cottages as a STR. I still think this is a back door approach to stifling this economy.

@Alexandra199 If you read the advice on doors they do NOT need to be doors that are certified as fire doors. The guidance is very clear on this and as long as they are solid wood they can become notional fire doors.

Also no one will shut you down over the fire assessment. I suspect hosts will never be inspected but if there is a fire we will be held accountable if our risk assessment is found deficient.

@Alexandra199 I am sorry but doors do NOT need to be official fire doors. The guidance published by the government is very clear on this.

A direct cut and paste from the guidance is shown below

In most instances, it should be possible to accept solid, conventional doors that are
a good fit in their frames. This will typically comprise a 44mm thick door of solid timber or with a core comprising flaxboard or chipboard.

Ema-J1
Level 1
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0  can I ask do you think that guidance applies if it's a building above 2 stories and has accomodation in the attic? 

@Ema-J1 I don't think it applies as this is not within scope.

In the intro it says

The Guide is an “entry level” companion to Government guidance on premises in which people sleep, such as hotels and larger boarding houses, which should be used if your premises do not fall within the scope

of this current Guide.

I don't know where to find this companion guide though.

Terence105
Level 2
Northampton, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 , the context of the up to 2 floors and 4 bedrooms, means that a simple FRA will suffice. Anything over and above will need further attention.

Terence105
Level 2

@Ema-J1 the new requirement is for up to 2 storeys. 3 storeys and above will need a more stringent assessment.

Terence105
Level 2

@Mike-And-Jane0 ,

you are correct. Please don't confuse the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (the Regs) with the new requirement to carry out a fire risk assessment. 

Article 9 states that a FRA needs to be carried out. This is the only Article that fits the holiday let question.

Terence105
Level 2

@Alexandra199 

The fire rating of the doors do not have to be FD30 with a BWF certificate. For a door set (frame and leaf) with closer and ironmongery to be fitted would be close to £3K. This is not reasonably practicable for the risk you have. 

Liz6232
Level 2
Wakefield, United Kingdom

May I ask what brand of plug in lighting you have used?  I can't find one on Amazon that appears to be UK   (ie CE etc) approved.

Thankyou

LIz