VAT INVOICES?

Barbara2242
Level 1
San Rafael, CA

VAT INVOICES?

I am an American and my home is in Mexico, I rent it out when Im not there. I got a request last week from a Mexican citizen asking me if I issue invoices. I had no idea what she was talking about. I told her she'll get a receipt from airbnb when she books. She replied very rudely "I guess that means you dont issue invoices." I said well I can write up something if you like, once you book. She wrote back again even more agitated, "this means you dont pay the local taxes." I tried again to find out what she was talking about, invoices.  She replied: "I dont like your attitude, Im going to find another place."  A couple of days later I got an email from airbnb with the topic VAT Invoices and a link to "Get Your Invoices."  I clicked it but didnt find where or how to do this. After much searching on airbnb website help section, I found some info about registering with the local gov but it is still wasnt clear. Am I required, as an American, to register?  The info says after completing the application you bring it along with your Mexican ID to an office to be registered.  Does anyone have any more specific information and experience with this? Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Barbara2242 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2491/how-do-i-find-my-receipt-from-a-past-home-booking

This normally works but they would need to do from their account. thanks