WWYD: Corona Discount Request

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

WWYD: Corona Discount Request

Hello Fellow Hosts, curious if you'd be willing to share how you would have responded to this message that came in yesterday?

"Hi Kelly,

My name is ******* and I love this place so much! We are bringing a girls long weekend ages up u til 80. My question to you is that I lost my job because of coronavirus and I’m on disability. Is there any chance of any discount that we could apply to our reservation? Thank you for the consideration. ********"

This was an Inquiry from a brand new user located 5 states away from me, for 3 guests, 4 nights in the last weekend in July. The listed rate was probably $20-50 less/night than it would have been in a normal summer. Who knows if anyone will be traveling in July and/or what the supply/demand housing market will look like then. Our state is currently about 50% open.

What would you have said????

45 Replies 45

@Kelly149 

Good question - I personally blocked my calendar for the summer, because as you said - "who knows if anyone will be traveling in July" - and our public health officer may not yet allow us to host anyway.  For me, under the current health circumstances, I cannot see how it is possible to plan much ahead at all. Our health officer's current plan for re-opening is for accepting guests from only within the local county, at first. Willingness to come from 5 states away shows the resilient attitude of the guests,  however I would have to personally show up as the adult in the room. As far as consenting to rent at a discount - we do not do that. It is just not good business, imho, and we would work just as hard with just as much overhead. Maybe more, with this size group for this length of proposed stay...good luck deciding, but I would say no discount. If one person is strapped for funds, the remainder of the group could make up the difference. Stay safe, Kelly!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kelly149  I would say something like 'Yes, the coronavirus has hit everyone hard, including hosts like us, who have lost significant bookings since March.   We wish you the very best on your weekend and in finding a place that is a a better fit for your budget.  

Well said @Mark116 

That's exactly the right response to give. Honestly, these same people wouldn't pull that on a hotel. Just us. The minute they have a sob story and ask for a discount I wish them well and decline. Why aren't they just honest?

"Hi. You have something of value I want. I don't want to pay for it even though the four of us will be splitting your modest rent four ways. You don't know me but I can't find anything as nice near you for what I want to pay. And although your place is less than the cost of a hotel room, I know hosts are desperate for funds. So won't you do me the honor of letting me use you and your place for my own comfort? You should be happy to be getting the 5 cents I'm willing to pay."  Yours sincerely, penny pinching inconsiderate guest you will regret once we stay..

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kelly149   I would respond that your price already reflects the current economic conditions and not give the discount.  I guess if I was unemployed and needed money I would not be traveling and having a girls' weekend.  I am suspicious of the inquiry.

@Kelly149  I would put on some shiny politeness to convey that my listed price is non-negotiable, but encourage the guest to save the listing to her Wish List and check back for future off-season deals if she's still interested.

But what I'd be privately thinking is "how very dare you? Over 30 million Americans have lost their jobs, millions are struggling to feed their families and keep their homes, but you're asking me to take a pay cut so you can have the luxury of a long-distance holiday? Find a place that fits your budget and leave me alone."   Part of my bias there, though, is that in my experience the people who ask for discounts and special favors from the beginning tend to be the most high-maintenance guests with the least respect for the property and the least appreciative reviews. I also feel like if we're fortunate enough to be able to enjoy things like vacations and restaurants, it behooves us to be as generous as we can to the people providing these services, who might not have such a privilege.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How very dare you, British stylee https://youtu.be/3Lw_2NuS6i8 

@Gordon0  I knew you'd catch that one! 🙂

@Gordon0 , British humor is the best and always on the cutting edge.  I first caught wind of it with "Is there a Dr in the House" in the late 60's, Benny Hill and Monty Python hooked me.  With all due respect, there is some irony in the fact that Britain as a whole is considered extremely progressive, prim and proper and a bit stodgy outside of its often very raucous and bawdy cinema.  Just seems a bit like a tale of two cities!   That said, nobody does it better!  Stay well Gordon, JR

@Gordon0  I somehow missed this whole thread until now, but thank you for yet again making my day.  Is there any name better than "Mr. Leonard Mincing"?  😂

This is VERY true! The guests that typically ask for the most are the most unappreciate.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm with @Linda108 (albeit socially-distanced). It's pretty reckless, financially speaking, to head off on a jolly with what little money you've got having lost your job. I'd give this one a very big swerve, @Kelly149

@Gordon0 , I was kinda thinking that also, kinda like a modern day Jack and the Beanstalk without the goose or golden eggs....  I would offer an up-charge of 20% because she's sick to waste her last beans on a trip they dont need right now.  JR

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Gordon0 @Anonymous @Linda108 @Mark116 @Kitty-and-Creek0 

I suppose I’ve buried the lede a bit to have not said that of course there is absolutely no circumstance by which I would have agreed to discount this gal’s holiday jaunt. 

without giving away too much, my response may have been even harsher than what any of you have thus far proposed. 

and I am happy to say that I will now add “how very dare you!” into my “well bless your heart” rotation. Thanks for that @Gordon0 

@Kelly149 

Agree with all of the above :-))) 

@Anonymous @Gordon0 @Linda108 @Mark116 @Kitty-and-Creek0