Wedding Bookings

Poppy34
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Wedding Bookings

Hi there, we have had a number of enquires for bridal parties wishing to use our house to get ready before the wedding and use on the wedding day. We allow instant booking so the bookings get booked on the standard rate. I feel though that this type of booking should need to pay extra given the extra attention given to it. Do you charge extra and if so how do you approach this with the guest? 

2 Replies 2
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Poppy34  You don't (approach this with the guest).  They are entitled to book your place at the specified price you have listed and the cleaning fee regardless of the purpose of use.  And there is no way that you can legitimately check on what the property is being used for.  It is a royal pain however when your sheets, quilt covers and soft fabric furniture ends up covered in fake tan and make-up.  Or your nice clean sheets are stained with red wine either from spillage or vomiting. 

We had a groom and his 3 groomsmen in a couple of weeks ago, I actually blocked the following night so they could leave to get to the wedding mid-afternoon without having to worry about late check-out and was happy to do this for their special day.  No change in rate or extra charge from our end.  5 star review from the groom.  They were extremely well behaved.  

Another local host friend has many wedding bookings, but their rates don't change.  So if you are likely to have quite a few wedding related bookings, then suggest you increase your cleaning fees instead and/or up your rates to cover all contingencies and "spread" any extra costs.  There is no mechanism for "add-ons" subject to property use purposes.  You can always claim additional expenses on the deposit feature you have activated although it seems getting Airbnb to actually do this is not easy.

I take it when you say "use on the wedding day" you are not talking about having the ceremony or celebrations there, just the preparation beforehand.  

Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Poppy34 

I have 2 properties right next to each other number 48 and 48A, these 2 have been accommodated a lot of wedding related events. We always require guest to book for the maximum number of 16 people if they want to have a party at our houses, and we also state that in our discription:

"Small family events, functions are welcomed as long as no damage to the house. All events require to book for large group 16 guests due to large group of people attending. We have 1 camera at the front house for security purposes. No big party please and guests are required to pay for any house DAMAGES. If you have a larger group, the duplex house next door might be available at the same time if you book very well in advance. Please see the availability on our other listing Home away from Home."

Another advice if you want to allow party at your house, you should be very friendly with your neighbors, bribe them/give them gift here and there.