What is a reasonable cleaning fee?

Ronan0
Level 2
Donegal, Ireland

What is a reasonable cleaning fee?

Hi everyone,

I ave been hosting on AirBnb for a few months and I am currently doing all the cleaning and laundry myself.

What is a reasonable cleaning fee to charge? I am currently charging €25 but it is taking me so long (its a 3 bedroom house) not to mention the cost of laundry.

Your views would be very much appreciated.

Ronan

23 Replies 23

Be careful with that for sure! Some friends and I rented a beautiful cottage one long weekend for $250 per night and a 60$ PER NIGHT cleaning fee...naturally, paying $180 for cleaning, we figured it was not necessary to leave the place spotless(we left the place is great shape, took out the trash, cleaned the kitchen etc) and still upon departure I got a phone call from the host steaming mad that the place was not spotless... we have a saying here in Canada 'you cant have your cake and eat it too'.... 

Nancy663
Level 1
Gravenhurst, Canada

I was also doing my own cleaning and charging $80, but I found changing all the beds, doing the laundry, dusting, floors, etc. between guests exhausting.  Add to that, after all the cleaning people were still complaining about finding dust bunnies under the bed or spots on the shower glass doors.  So I hired professional cleaners.  Now I have a much better job done and it is costing $100 per cleaning out of my pocket.  People say $100 is okay for a week, but should be lower if folks have just been there for a couple of nights.  I have an 1800 square foot space to clean.  It doesn't matter if you have been there two nights or seven, I still have to pay the cleaners the same.

We're out in the country, and oh, how I wish I could find someone to clean our cottage! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried adverising on local FB groups @Darva1 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If you hate cleaning so much (so do I) then raise your cleaning fee while lowering your nightly rate. Supply and demand will determine if you can get away with this. The unfortunate reality is that you might reduce your business a lot if you scare off shorter-term guests with a higher cleaning fee. You'll have to try and see. Nearly half of my guests are 2 night stays so I don't have much leverage.

Nick707
Level 2
Carmel, IN

I too have a three bedroom house. It takes me typically 2-4 hours to clean the home. I charge a $50 cleaning fee and haven't been met with too much push back. I recentely made a video on how I clean my five star listing. 

https://youtu.be/4qspmHN62K8

This is about €44.

David4529
Level 1
Glen Carbon, IL

I have a question.  I was asked to clean an air bnb. It is 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom. This includes 8 beds to change. I would have to do the laundry, dishes and all general cleaning plus they want me to come out on the night before trash is taken and out the trash out.  They said hotel service quality.  What would be a reasonable price to charge?

We have two listings and charge $150 cleaning fee for our five bedroom house and $75.00 for our two bedroom house. We ask Airbnbers to leave the house as they found it, do the dishes, flush toilets and put all trash and recycling in the garbage cans on the porch. There have been a few times when the fee has not covered our housekeepers' fees.

Depositing the trash in the trash cans limits exposure to germs, discourages insects and mice and our housekeepers don't see Airbnber's personal items in the trash.

We haven't had any negative feed back on either the cleaning fees or the level of cleanliness upon their arrival.

Here is what we have under the heading other rules for our five bedroom house:

We expect our guest to treat our home with respect, tidy up after themselves

Take off shoes in the house
Do not take food or drinks upstairs (water is ok)
Separate recycling from trash for single stream recycling .

Please rinse recyclables and recycle glass, plastic, aluminum and tin cans and clean paper and card board
Wash and put away all of the dishes
Please return furniture to how you found it
Please empty all household trash cans

If you want to see more here are the links to our listings:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15174873?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4782015?

Happy Hosting!

Erika