edinburgh council

Fiona771
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

edinburgh council

Hi there,

one set of neighbours have complained and  I need to go to a hearing at Edinburgh council. Has anyone experienced this please ? I would like details of a good lawyer and what to expect. its my home I let it about 6months of the year when I am travelling with work  . 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What issues are your neighbours complaining about @Fiona771 

Contact the Council and ask them what to expect .

ask in the Edinburgh host group for advice on whether you need a lawyer/ what approach to take . 

Fiona771
Level 2

Thank you Helen, honestly my nerves are shattered. I will be forced to sell as I cant afford to live there otherwise. Will share any insights on this platform  

Hi, as @Helen3 states, contact the council, based upon the Airbnb site, it seems your area has a robust process re: STR, and they most likely can advise you how to proceed forward. 

Best to expect your neighbor has reviewed local STR  rules/ Airbnb host rules, and has "their" examples of your violations of STR law, parking, noise, neighbor courtesy, illegal activity, etc. 

Good thing Airbnb has a very rigorous process for hosting, host vetting, etc...and you can talk all about this, and the quality of your guests. :).

Best to come prepared with records, for example, no calls to police re: noise complaints, no parking tickets for parking violations, no calls to police for illegal activity.  

A list of guests (names obscured) and their professions (which you can find on LinkedIn)...

Hopefully, it is a simple fix as someone keeps parking in "my street spot" vs. a litigious neighbor. 

Fiona771
Level 2

Thank you , 

I  cant find the Edinburgh specific group. some of the complains are not in my realm to fix ( Edinburgh is experiencing a housing crisis) others lies, Dog fouling when the objector knows I don't allow dogs to stay and others about loss of community when that is such an intangible thing. I have written to the council three times as I don't know what is admissible evidence and they have not given me a clear directive. Know its all new to them too. I am happy to share any insights as i think this will only become more frequent for hosters .  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would call not just write to the council @Fiona771 

The Edinburgh host group is on Facebook. 

do you have CCTV at your listing so you can monitor how your listing is being used/a local cohost for when you're away? 

Presumably you meet the criteria for an STR license so can demonstrate this at the hearing.

best of luck