electricity bill extremely high

Rosanna214
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

electricity bill extremely high

We are new in airbnb and have just had our second guests. They have been with us for three months now, since we only do long stays. There was a huge bill of 363 dollars for the month of June, and the one for July is coming at 515 dollars. The AC broke during their second month and we had to send the repairman right away. He fixed it and told me our guests wanted to make it cooler than it was before. I have to say that we originally had  the thermostat set between 68-76, so that we could operate it from our phones. However, soon after they arrived, they wanted to have control of it and adjust the temperature, so we gave them the password to the thermostat. I am now with these two very high bills. Any advice?

We also have a jacuzzi which is not listed, but they keep on asking the pool guy to open the control panel for them. I am only scared of what my jacuzzi/gas bill would be if that was given to them too. 

Please, advise.

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Rosanna214  This is a tough one because you cannot change the terms of the contract now.  When we have had long term guests, generally between house moves etc, we have agreed a monthly discount with them based on us paying all the fixed costs and the guest paying the cost of actual energy units used.  So, a photo taken of the meters at check in and then monthly.  We then request the money through the resolution centre for actual units used once a month.  This has worked well and also guests become more mindful of what they are using.   I think you made a major mistake in giving them the password for the thermostat and perhaps you should change it and take control back if at all possible?  With regards to access to the ‘unlisted jacuzzi’ perhaps you could use this as a bargaining chip?  eg:  Allow access on the understanding that any energy costs over $X per month on both the property and Jacuzzi are paid by the guest through the resolution centre.  Make sure that you keep all conversation and agreements on the Airbnb Messages.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Long stays like these don’t really fit the Airbnb model when it comes to utilities and, as @Kate867  says, they should be picking up the bills. I suspect they might be a little more energy conscious if paying themselves. You might need to have a sit-down convo with these two to see why the bills are so high. Good luck, @Rosanna214 

Thank you for giving me some advice. Do you suggest I should be adding an energy bill or something like that? Where in the listing do I add that?

Thank you so much for your input.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

On a long-term booking the guest should be paying per consumption. You can do this by calculating via the relevant meter(s) and request via the app. This might be tricky with the current guest if they bought up on the 'bills included' vibe, and why wouldn't they given their usage, @Rosanna214.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Rosanna214 how much longer if I they have left on their  booking? 

I’m also in a Scottish Airbnb Host group and there has been a lot of discussion re fair usage and how best to handle it - particularly with the recent increases and as we head closer to our cold winter.

Many are have moved to a model where a set amount of credit is offered as part of the stay:   £x per week, £xx per month.  Readings are taken at the beginning of the stay.  Hosts have commented that it certainly helps guests focus on wasteful usage.