how is your summer 2020 looking?

Melanie251
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

how is your summer 2020 looking?

In a market where people often book summer shore rentals in January and February, it's March already and I only have 2 weeks of my summer booked! I started the year with so many inquires I didn't know how to fairly juggle them. Then a returning family who said they'd take August backed out and the other leads dried up. I'm still fielding inquiries, but not enough firm bookings. Fortunately, I'm doing well with off season weekends, but that's pocket change and won't pay the mortgage. My husband thinks that with the election, the state of the economy, and the fears of coronovirus, people aren't making travel plans. Has anyone else felt like this season's bookings are slower than usual? What have you done to encourage bookings but still pay your expenses? 

3 Replies 3
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Melanie251, not sure about your election, but most definitely the coronavirus (and its impacts on the economy) are affecting people's travel plans. My bookings are now down by more than 50% (and only 2 nights booked in April so far, typically a busy month for me) and are mostly restricted to guests living in my state. Normally, I have loads of international travellers. People are being advised by governments worldwide to rethink their travel plans, and rightly so. The last place I'd want to be right now is on a plane, and I'm not sure how I feel about people who've just got off a plane coming into my home. This will most likely continue for the rest of the year at least, so you might need a back up plan to pay your mortgage.

yes, it must be difficult for anyone in international travel! What do you do to make up the income? Lower rates? Lower your minimum night stay? Market to more local people somehow?

My market is hyper local. The vast majority of guests are driving from an hour or two away. We don't get international guests.

Kathleen645
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

It could be a slowing economy.  I keep hearing we are due for a crash, I think people will still keep travelling, it might just be a little dip for a short period, but things usually recover.