new host starting up

Answered!

new host starting up

Hello I am a new starter host in the UK to this I am hoping to get my first property by subletting can someone please advise me on how to start and what to expect and some tips on hosting. thanks you so much 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christopher1937 my advice is to expect it to be very hard to find a landlord willing to allow subletting at all let alone for Airbnb. Make sure your lease specifically allows you to Airbnb/short term rent the property.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christopher1937 my advice is to expect it to be very hard to find a landlord willing to allow subletting at all let alone for Airbnb. Make sure your lease specifically allows you to Airbnb/short term rent the property.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Christopher1937 👋

@Mike-And-Jane0 have given you some great suggestions here. I've also found some guides for you to read before you begin your journey! 

Getting started on Airbnb
The basics of hosting on Airbnb
All the ways to host on Airbnb

Good luck! 🍀

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Christopher1937 Starting as a new host in the UK through subletting requires careful planning and understanding of both the legal and practical aspects of short-term rentals. Here are some key points and tips to consider:

Firstly, check lease terms. It is important to ensure subletting is allowed for Airbnb or short-term rentals in your lease.

Secondly, I'll say understand Local Laws. It will be an added advantage for you to familiarize yourself with local short-term rental regulations and tax requirements.

Thirdly, get a proper Insurance that covers short-term rentals.

Fourthly, create an appealing listing, this can be achieved when you use quality photos and detailed descriptions to highlight your property's best features.

Conclusively, set competitive prices, research local listings to price your property competitively. It is also important to maintain clear communication, by being responsive and helpful to guests before and during their stay. Also keep your property clean and well-maintained to ensure positive reviews.

I am most certain these steps will help you navigate the initial phase of hosting successfully.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Lodge102 i can't agree with your analysis . You are glossing over the biggest barrier which is landlords in the UK don't tend to be in favour of subletting and that many areas are now over saturated markets so arbitrage is incredibly risky. 

how many properties have you successfully sublet for STR in the UK? You appear to be a guest rather than a host so wondering what experience your advice is based on? 

the vast majority of landlords (myself included ) wouldn't touch arbitrage with a barge pole 

you can't get STR home insurance if you don't own the property so the property wouldn't be covered in the event of damage .

@Christopher1937 if you want to set up an STR business and don't have a property to use. Start by renting a room in your home for STR.