payment issues

payment issues

We received this message from airbnb and it needs some explaining. I thought airbnb always had our back and tried to collect until successful/cancellation? Thanks in advance….

Hi *****
The attempt to charge your guest, ******, for the amount due for reservation ****** from January 12, 2020 - February 28, 2020 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent ******* an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please 
3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rob6898 Are you confident this is a genuine airbnb email?

Yes we are, I had trouble uploading the screen shots of the email. But eventually the guest paid. It made me nervous tho...

Laura2217
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Hi Rob,

I had the same problem with a guest who just checked out.  It was a long-term reservation and her second payment didn’t go through, but she was already staying with me.  What caught me off guard was that before booking she asked me to block my calendar as she was having trouble with her credit card.  The second payment was because she apparently lost her credit card and I finally received my payment, but spent a day on the phone with AirBNB.  My guest also knew if the problem and never reached out to let me know she was working on it.

She then shortened her stay by two weeks, which I gracefully accepted, but there is a small payment still outstanding and it hasn’t been processed.  I’m guessing she canceled the card, but still waiting for support.

This has been really upsetting, as she seemed nice on the surface and said she plans to stay with me in the future.  Now that she checked out, I never received a thank you and my place was dirty.  I spent two days deep cleaning.

If I receive a response from AirBNB, I’ll let you know.   My last payment is 4 days past due.   They really need to work on protecting hosts.  I thought they collected payment far enough in advance, but apparently not.  At least not with long-term reservations, which I am no longer accepting!

Best,

Laurie