who is getting inundated with local resident stay requests during covid?

Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

who is getting inundated with local resident stay requests during covid?

Hi there, Sammy here, better guest than tolerant host apparently.  What was once a fun hobby for extra travel money (during #stayathome I'd just tuck it away).  I'm turning away more people than's worthwhile to even deal with.

I'm sensitive to the state of the union, people are in pinches all over with housing/house mates/spouses/families etc more so now thanks to Covid.  I'm all about fair pricing not gouging (except steeler game weekends in the past--law of supply and demand) and in trying to do that, with still competitive pricing, I'm getting bogged down with local requests from the derelicty non user users.

No ID (much less verified) maybe an email no phone number blank profiles no stays no reviews people who literally have NO IDEA how this platform works, don't care, or get $h!tty when you try to explain....do I start reporting (and blocking) people?  So that my own profile gets flagged and airbnb penalizes me and snoozes my listings to teach me a lesson about tattling?

If these were all inquires I could respond then sidestep or ignore, or send an OUTRAGEOUS special offer (let me show you just "how 'special'" so special that its too special for you, or anyone else lol)....but they are coming is as booking requests.  I checked all my settings, tried modifying pricing, eliminated last minute discounts, reset setting for same day to FY/FO lol. 

WHO HAS TIPS, IDEAS, STRATEGIES FOR HOW TO MANAGE THIS BETTER my methods???  I'm dying to hear your success stories!

I'm a smart cookie and a management consultant you would think I'd be better at this, I'm losing my patience and getting ready to snooze my listings...

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
16 Replies 16
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

No, I never do tours for Airbnb guests either (I did one very early on, but that was for a guest who had already booked for 3.5 months, happened to be in town and it was a nice opportunity to meet him too).

Since then, it's very rare I get asked for a tour/viewing, but now it seems to be becoming more common. 

No, I'm not going to have potential guests in and out of my house, especially now. One of the reasons I switched from regular tenants to Airbnb was so I didn't have to do all those viewings with random people!

@Huma0  btw, yes, girl getting annoyed about host asking about BF?  highly likely a "live-in" wannabe circumstance.  i can't even COMPREHEND that with my upbringing brain and background.  def a red flag, my house not yours, hello/goodbye get a hotel if you like best of luck to you and your search.  idk what is "wrong" w people...

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it