AIRBNB is failing to refund after host cancelled

Maggie229
Level 1
Brisbane City, Australia

AIRBNB is failing to refund after host cancelled

I had a reservation for next december. My host cancelled on 3rd Sept. I  contacted airbnb because when i booked my reservation a few months ago i did it by using a debit card i no longer have. I have changed institutions since then and having my reservation cancelled was not part of the plan. I contacted airbnb to let them know about my new bank details. They refuse to do anything about it. They sent the money to the no longer existent bank account. I contacted my old bank and they told me that since i am no longer a customer the money should bounce back to airbnb. Taking into account that today is 20th Sept Airbnb should have contacted me again already  but they haven't. We are taking about 922 dollars lost. My family and i won't have a chance of  having a holiday unless we get our money properly refunded.  Why can't airbnb contact me aand send the money to my new card number/paying method?!

I have tried to contact airbnb several times but customer service is AWFUL! 

COuld someone help me out?

Kind Regards, 

Maggie. 

4 Replies 4
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

How can Air bnb possibly refund you if your current existing bank card and details are different from the bank card and details used to make the original booking?

Air bnb could  think it’s a possible fraud, even though it is not.

I suggest calling air bnb by phone to explain your situation and ask what their process is to follow to get a refund where bank card details are different from the previous bank card details to make the reservation.

That’s the thing. I contacted them to explain my situation and they have not helped me get my money back yet. So where is my money. If money is sent to a no longer existing acc that money should bounce. Why don’t they contact me or listen to me when i want to update my banking details? They can’t keep my money only because i changed banks and i happened to be so unlucky that my host cancelled my booking. It is very frustrating.

@Maggie229

I would suggest they do not know where your money is? and with all things financial with Airbnb it takes ages, I would love to know how much money is sitting in their holding account.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would suggest you try them via their social media.