Access to Gated Communities

Access to Gated Communities

My name is Marie Moore.   My husband and I are the owners of The Mermaids Song in Seaside Oregon and we just listed our new rental in a gated community called Swallow the anchor.

This new home is in a gated community where short term rentals are in the spotlight.  Luckily, I have been considered to sit on two committees ( Short Term Rentals and Security).  The subject of last weeks board meeting was the 4 page list of code that everyone from contractors to relatives to renters have obtained.  Currently, each owner is given a gate remote with a unique code embedded in it and guest codes are published monthly.  The monthly guest codes have limited hours.  For example, a guest would find that they could not get back in if they went out after 9pm.  

The new grounds and security employee is finding this system to be a nightmare, that need not consume the majority of his time.  The more streamline the process, the better it will reflect on rentals.  The current group of anti-STR supporters would love nothing more than to use this as a reason to eliminate them altogether.

Please weigh in!  If you are in a gated community and have a great system that works, If you have some ideas.  I have been instructed to ask for comparisons.

Marie Moore

1 Reply 1
Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

Hi @William-and-Marie0 !

Our home is in a gated community as well. Owners have a remote opener, and a code (for owners only). There is also a visitor code (that is changed weekly) and we are to use that code for visitors, guests, cleaning service, repairs man, etc.

I really do not understand how it is possible that you are given a visitor code with limited hours...renters need to have the freedom to get in and out of the community as they please, also what would happen in the event of an emergency? Sadly, it seems like your HOA is looking for a way to get rid of STR in your community.