Air bnb has not honored our cancellation policy

Laura2327
Level 3
Hinesburg, VT

Air bnb has not honored our cancellation policy

Hello Everyone,

I could use some advice. I am a 3 year super host with a 5 star rating. I recently had a guest cancel his reservation 2 days before arrival (we have a moderate cancellation policy). Air bnb gave me $679 which was half of his payment. Air bnb then took the money back with the last payout from the guests who left yesterday. Air bnb’s reasoning was because the guest who cancelled wanted all his money back because he was upset that he had to answer a question from me when he altered his reservation from 6 people to 9 people 3 days before arrival. I had kindly asked for assurance from the guest that he understood this was not a party house because we had issues in the past with people upping their guest numbers at the last minute and then destroying the house. The guest said he totally understood  and said they were just 9 guys wanting to have a low key 4th of July weekend - so I thanked him for the assurance and then I happily accepted his reservation alteration. I sent him many links to swimming holes, beaches, restaurants etc…. The next day, 2 days before arrival, he cancelled the reservation entirely. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me…. So today air bnb said the guy was uncomfortable with my question (even though his response at the time was that he totally understood me asking for clarification) and they said that he was entitled to his full refund irrespective of the cancellation policy.

I feel like air bnb care more about that guest than they do about this super host and I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if they have advice on how to get that money back or if I should just let it go and join VRBO instead. 

Thanks for your wisdom!

Laura

6 Replies 6
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

@Laura2327 @Liv @Catherine-Powell This is another great example of CS not following the guidelines in-place to protect hosts. This should not be happening. 

@Jillian115 Your tag for @Catherine-Powell  didn’t work so let me try. 

What an outrageous abuse of position by this rogue CS Ambassador. Astounding thing is, it’s yet one more in a long string of them recently. 

Yancheng2
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I have been in the same situation several times. You need to keep fighting with the Super Host Support and get back the money.  

Is there a specific place to go for Super Host Support? 

Hi Laura, sorry for the late respond. The number I usually call is +61285203333, but it's an Australian number. You may have a try. 

What happened to that improved customer service? I'm hearing too many hosts suggesting that it's even worse now.  @Catherine-Powell