AirBnb is unable to explain their own pricing

Natalie586
Level 1
Warren, NJ

AirBnb is unable to explain their own pricing

Upon trying to shorten my long-term reservation, I am prompted to pay an ADDITIONAL SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars. No one at AirBnb Customer Support is able to provide me a clear explanation of where the charges are coming from. Whenever I call, they just say "oh, because of the 30 day cancellation policy," but are unable to provide exact calculations of this price difference. Horrible! Just spouting "it's in the policy" should not be blanket to hide transparency. AirBnb does not know how their own service works! Here I am now, diligently doing the calculations myself to see where the numbers are coming from.

3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Natalie586 maybe you could tell us the numbers so that some of the experienced hosts here could give you a more informed advice about your situation. 

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Natalie586 @I had a similar situation only I was the host and the guest wanted to shorten their stay by 1 day and it was going to charge them more money. We came to the conclusion that because she booked when the listing was brand new and received a 20% discount if she changed the reservation her discount disappeared. She decided it would be best to leave the reservation the way it was and enjoy a late checkout! 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Brief: sounds like the 30-day cancellation policy means you would pay more to shorten the stay.  Negotiate with host or eat it.