Airbnb Reimbursement Request

Answered!
David9258
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Airbnb Reimbursement Request

As guests, we are being asked to pay 299 € for a scratched electric hob (Herdplatte) in Passau. We did not cause this damage. We didn't once use the hob. The claim was presented by the owner 3 full days after our departure from the apartment. An Airbnb ambassador is supposedly handling our case, but is writing standard, supposedly friendly and reassuring responses that do not address the question. The algorithms clearly favour the host whenever damage is caused. This shows the limits of artificial intelligence. We need a real Airbnb person in a position of responsibility to fully investigate and handle this case. We reserve the right to make a very public statement about this case, and to quit Airbnb, if we do not get proper support. At present, it is a joke.

1 Best Answer
Scott1665
Level 2
Bloomington, IN

I am going through a similar situation. My group is being blamed for very obvious fire damage to a back porch that was present when we arrived. The host is seeking $1200 from me. Everyone in my group is very angry and insulted over the whole matter. It seems as though a host can make a bogus claim and AirBnB will just roll with it. The questions I am being asked and the "proof" they are asking me to provide that we didn't cause the damage is ridiculous. What did they expect me to do? Take a selfie next to the damage with a caption that says "Hi, I didn't do this"? I hope your situation gets worked out. It terrible that good people can be harassed like this.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@David 9258 Just say you did not do it . Thats all you have to do . H

Scott1665
Level 2
Bloomington, IN

I am going through a similar situation. My group is being blamed for very obvious fire damage to a back porch that was present when we arrived. The host is seeking $1200 from me. Everyone in my group is very angry and insulted over the whole matter. It seems as though a host can make a bogus claim and AirBnB will just roll with it. The questions I am being asked and the "proof" they are asking me to provide that we didn't cause the damage is ridiculous. What did they expect me to do? Take a selfie next to the damage with a caption that says "Hi, I didn't do this"? I hope your situation gets worked out. It terrible that good people can be harassed like this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did the host say when you raised the issue of the fire damaged door when you arrived @Scott1665 

I'm sure you followed Airbnb's advice of flagging anything not as described in the listing when you checked in, so they will be able to see the property was like this when you arrived 

@David9258 @Scott1665   Has Airbnb issued a final ruling on either of these claims, or are you still in the Resolution process?

Thank you Andrew (and Scott) for your interest. Resolution Centre is maintaining its position, so I have made a vigorous claim this morning, moving up through two levels to a third level in the food chain! That level will approach Resolution Centre on our behalf.
In the meantime I am sending a registered letter with recorded delivery to the host ** with a copy to Airbnb France in Paris.
The crux of the matter is that three days elapsed before he made his claim. Ruling against us when it isn't proven that we were responsible for the damage is not acceptable.
Another observation I would like to make is that it would appear to be bad practice – and should not be condoned by Airbnb – to mix Airbnb and a regular flat share, with what appears to be a high turnover rate. Precisely for the reason revealed by this case.

Again many thanks

**[Personal details removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I have to say - @David9258 David is the cohost of my apartment in Grenoble, and I have known David for 4 years and his management of the apartment is perfect and he has always been 100% honest with me and with the guests. As a co-host himself, he is always super vigilant at noticing anything out of place. The idea that he could do such damage in another apartment is unthinkable.

@David9258  This is just a discussion forum for peers. Your case is not being litigated here, so there's no need to call in witnesses. You also can't post the full name of another member here, so your host's name will most likely be censored.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the actual terms of the damage claim policy to better understand what's going on. You'll see, for example, that 3 days is well within the 14 days from your checkout that the host has to initiate a damage claim.

I see no reason that it should be considered bad practice to "mix Airbnb and a regular flat share," as long as the local law and the housing community permit it.  But if other guests or residents happened to be sharing the facilities during your stay, any of them could have conceivably caused the damage, so that detail would be very relevant to your dispute.

David9258
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Thank you so much @Katie1277,

And @Scott1665, what is the status regarding your porch?

David9258
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Thank you @Anonymous. Your remarks are noted.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@David9258 

It's good to hear the guest side of the story involving a damage claim this will be interesting to see how it works out, please keep us informed.

I am not taking sides here, Airbnb does not clearly take sides with the host where is your proof of that? 

You can read through many post here in CC and see how clearly host suffer from damaged properties and not get a penny.

Good luck with your case, 

As @Anonymous  says the host has 14 days to make a claim, 

David9258
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Thank you @Sudsrung0  The proof of the bias is in the failure by both the Ambassador and the Resolutions Centre even to envisage the possibility of the damage having been caused by other occupants of the shared flat after our departure.

David9258
Level 2
Grenoble, France

Thank you all for your advice and support. One feels less alone! And the good news is that Airbnb finally announced today that they are dropping the claim against us. Irène and I are relieved and grateful. Best regards to all.