Airbnb blocked my listing and won't respond to me

Kimi-and-Mark0
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Airbnb blocked my listing and won't respond to me

A few years ago I installed a security camera on my property car park and driveway.  Whenever the property was not occupied, we had ongoing issues with rubbish bins and gas cylinders getting stolen.  We also had a lot of issues with guests booking for a few people to stay, then sneaking in a lot more for free.  It was costing us a fortune in water, electricity, cleaning and laundry costs, but we could never prove it.  So, the camera was installed at the front of the house to view the car park and driveway.

We made sure that we were compliant with all Australian laws and Airbnb's requirements.   The location of the camera is disclosed in the listing and in the House Rules - on page 1 and very prominently.  We have been very open about it with guests.

We have not had an issue with theft or over-stayers since ... until a few days ago.  A particular guest booked our property for 6 days for 10 people to stay in a house that sleeps 11.  What this ratbag did not know is that some family members of ours were staying next door at the time.  They saw the bus turn up and 18 people pour out of it, with their luggage and move in.  So, they rang me and told me what was going on.  I checked my car park video and, sure enough, 18 people had moved in.

Long story short, I contacted Airbnb and complained.  I also contacted the guest and asked him to remove the additional guests.  Next day they were gone.  Then, this ratbag leaves a review accusing me of having security cameras everywhere and invading his privacy.  He was given a copy of the House Rules prior to check in and it was in the listing, so if he had read them he would have known that there was only 1 camera and it was fully compliant with Airbnb's rules on surveillance cameras.

What did Airbnb do?  Well, they blocked my listing and asked me for an explanation via email.  I responded to them immediately and told them everything, including screen-shots of the listing and a copy of our House Rules.  Since then ... nothing.  It is 4 days now and they are not responding to me.  I contacted Airbnb Customer Support via messaging and they told me that I have to wait for the "special department" to contact me.  My listing remains blocked and it is peak season now.  Just not good enough.  I have done the right thing, been fully compliant and one ratbag cheat gets my listing blocked.  Shame on you Airbnb.

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kimi-and-Mark0 I can only offer sympathy. This seems to be happening more and more these days. Perhaps if Airbnb actually looked at the stats they would realise they need to get a more sensible policy than the current 'suspend first, ask questions later'.

If there is one thing that will encourage me to duplicate our listings with another website it is situations like this.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kimi-and-Mark0 

I suspect they might be overly sensitive to any potential PR nightmare, for example, if a host were caught surveilling guests in naughty ways. It could indeed become a PR nightmare for them.

That's not to defend them. They should use at least half a brain when making these decisions, but I suspect the people who make these decisions are outsourced junior level trainees or something. 

I'm in Australia too and struggling to get Airbnb to complete an investigation into a party held at my property over 10 days ago.  I've sent over a huge amount of evidence (photo's of the damages).  It's also obvious there were additional guests.  Also the guest reported to me a positive covid case AFTER they left the property and now Airbnb have desisted it for 14 days.  How a property can be infected is bizarre and not based on any scientific fact.

In conclusion, Airbnb help is very poor.  If you have great guests airbnb works, but any issues and the wheels fall off very quickly.

How true is that.

The federal rules on COVID quarantine is 7 days now and CSIRO data says that COVID-19 virus only lives for 3 days outside the host.  So, how can they justify quarantining the house for 14 days?  They have a cleaning regimen that we are supposed to follow and that is supposed to disinfect the house immediately so that new guests can come in without risk.   It just shows how ignorant and medieval they are.

I had a similar experience once before with a flyscreen ripped out, a stainless steel fridge door obscenely scratched and mozzie coils burnt in a bedroom that permeated into all of the bedding and mattresses.  Eventually, Airbnb came to the party and paid for the repairs.  But not after the guest told a bunch of lies, then delisted their profile to try and avoid the extra charges.  I got my money in the end.  Just make sure you complete the additional charges form within 14 days I think and supply all of the evidence.  You have to show that the damage was not there before - in my case I had a statement from my housekeeper who cleaned the property on the same day as this guest checked in.  You also need to supply invoices or quotes for the repairs.  As I said, I got my money but I don't know if Airbnb got it out of the guest.  I didn't care in the end.  it did take a few weeks.

The best thing you can do is initiate an additional charge to the guest and then it has to be processed by Airbnb.  Eventually.

If you are in AUS, then I strongly suggest getting landlord insurance.  It costs around $350 per year and it is worth every cent.  I have claimed on it for my properties a few times and it always comes though.  It also gives you peace of mind.  Don't ever put all of your eggs in the Airbnb insurance policy basket.  I have a home insurance policy (Hollard) that specifies short-term holiday accommodation and includes landlord insurance.  I would suggest any Airbnb host in Australia does the same.  EBM Rentcover offer the same, as does Terry Scheer, but I have found TS to be a bit expensive.

We installed the car park camera because we were getting so many freeloading additional guests sneaking in.  When I could prove it, I sent them an additional fee, which I specify in my House Rules.  All of them copped it sweet, apologised and paid up - except for this most recent ratbag.  That is another thing.  If you want to apply additional charges for damages or freeloaders etc, it is well worth specifying those additional charges in your House Rules.  Otherwise Airbnb will cause you problems in justifying what you are claiming.  I now have a whole table of "Additional Charges" at the back of my House Rules, which covers additional guests, damage, additional cleaning, smoking inside,  etc.  I even specify the hourly rates for my housekeeper to do the additional work and to be present while any trades are there - as I live interstate.  Since I did this, I have not had any problems getting the money back - not that I have had that many issues of this type anyway.  Most guests let me know if they accidentally damage something and they willingly pay for it.  But there is a certain element who have a far lower standard of morality and honesty - if you have been hosting for a while, then you know what kind of people I am talking about.