Airbnb management companies in Edinburgh

Helle9
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Airbnb management companies in Edinburgh

We're considering using a management company to rent out our two bedroom flat in Edinburgh city centre. I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience working with one of these agencies (Airsorted, Pass the Keys, etc.)? 

We've been living in the flat ourselves until now and only letting out our spare bedroom but we're thinking about moving to a house in the outskirts of Edinburgh and I don' think I'll have the time or the energy to manage the flat hence why we're considering using an agency. The problem is I've no idea if they're to be trusted or not, I've heard a fair share of horror stories as well as praise. 

Many thanks! 

9 Replies 9
Lisa-McKinney0
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Helle,

I thought I'd reply as hopefully I would be able to help.

I can certainly offer information regarding the big management companies however possibly better to do via private message.

I've looked at your listing and I actually have my own properties on your street and I manage a small number of properties for friends - that's my full time business. I do all the management, guest contact, cleaning, laundry etc.

I'd be happy to meet up for a chat if that would help?

Not sure if my number will get blocked here but will give it a go - it's **.

Any questions, just let me know 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Helle9,

I wanted to know if you managed to find a good management company for your flat?

Hi Lisa, I saw your post and was wondering if your still co-hosting? I've two top-end flats in the same building on corner of George st and North Castle street with stunning castle views. And a stunning main door in Leith over -looking The Links.

Like everyone else, I'm looking for "The Dream Team", have a lot of past experience - most of it good, some bad. I need a really reliable person to help as I spend a lot of time abroad.

Please do let me know if this is something that you might be interested in?

My number is - ***

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Regards,

Morris Paton

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Hey.

I host and co-host properties in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Let me know if you are interested. I have heard a lot of terrible things about the management companies, so I wouldn’t do it myself. Here is my email:**

Vicky

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Peter2535
Level 1
Edinburgh, GB

Hi @Helle9

We're considering doing the same.

Just following up on your post - did you ever find a decent management company?

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I didn't unfortunately. I contacted all the main management companies and wasn't impressed with any of them. I think I'll probably just find someone who's self employed and who I can trust and see how that works out. 

Good luck with your search! Let me know if you manage to find a decent management company. 🙂 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

A few weeks before the regulations were introduced here in Dublin, Airbnb's "Pro Co-Host Partner", Pass The Keys (one of only 5 property management companies worldwide publicly endorsed as such by Airbnb) started advertising all over social media for someone to open a Dublin office for them. 

As part of my research, I called them up and made out I was interested in the gig. Gave them my credentials - 10 yrs on Airbnb, long term superhost, 5000 guests through my door, blah blah blah..

Anyway, turns out they're running a franchise operation now (although they did admit at the time to not being registered with the British Franchise Association), and by the figures the mentioned, obviously make a hefty wedge for the privilege. I asked how many places they expect the franchisee to take on and was told, "Oh you should be able to manage up to 100 by yourself, but any more than that and you'd probably need to take someone on to help". I expressed a little surprise, while trying to suppress the snort of derision I wanted to unleash (and in my head, I was thinking "Are you f**king kidding me?!" It's hard enough to keep manners on just two  lots of guests these days, never mind 100)

I asked what the situation would be if say, 2 or 3 of the guest groups were experiencing issues at the same time, in the middle of the night, and there was just me to deal with things. The rep delightedly exclaimed, "Oh that's the best bit! Pass the Keys have their very own 24 hour helpline to deal with any issues!!". I replied, "Cool. So where's that then?". Answer..."Bulgaria". Right. Because some poorly-paid kid in a cubicle in Bulgaria  is really going to be much help if the "host" is having major issues with several different groups of guests at 3 or 4am, (or even 3 or 4pm), in a city hundreds, or thousands, of miles away, aren't they? 

I also attented a Pass the Keys webinar, which was an eye-opener in itself. Lots of talk about maximising bookings and returns, and hitting targets and projections, and how PTK has special, privileged access to Airbnb's data, processes and advisors, and could route you so many more bookings than if you were just some randomer amateur host trying to make a go of it on your own (I'm paraphrasing there of course, but that was the jist of it). Surprise, surprise though.. there was barely a mention of the word "hospitality" in the entire presentation. Funny, that...

Oddly, during my initial 2 hour call to them - at around 4pm on a Thursday afternoon - the PTK exec I spoke with couldn't get enough of me, and was full of excited chatter about how I sounded just what they were looking for, how they'd bring me over to London for special training, show me all the ropes, and all that palaver. However, at 9.00am the next morning, they were back on the phone to me with a completely different attitude - brusque, evasive, vague - and all of a sudden, seemingly out of the blue, they'd developed concerns "about the new regulations in Dublin" (yet they didn't appear to have had too many concerns about such issues just the previous evening, or for the previous several weeks that they'd been advertising the franchisee role all over the internet here - which, being one of Airbnb's Preferred Co-Host Partners, and with Airbnb's non-US HQ being based here, you'd think they'd have been fully aware of).

Anyway, they informed me that they were now shelving plans to enter the Dublin market "for the time being". So, that was my hopes and dreams of joining the big league, dashed, in one fell swoop. Not to worry though, it was a still a very useful experience and a source of rich material for me. 🙂

I did, of course, give my real name when I called, but I can only surmise as to the reasons for Pass The Keys overnight change of heart as regards coming to Dublin to join the likes of the huge VC-funded mega-hosts like Sonder (who moved in right next door to Airbnb HQ - how chummy!), Sweet Inn, and the hordes of other "rentrepreneurs" and commercial operators, who all appear to be going from strength to strength here in our little city, since the regulations decimated the small local host community. (Indeed, Sonder only moved in here, just as the regulations were closing us little guys down)

It's a funny old world, isn't it? 

Hi there - I run a property management called Host Happy in Victoria, BC. I would love to know the reasons @Helle9 chose not to go with any of the management companies in Edinburgh and if @Peter2535 ended up hiring one, what the main reason was for selection. Always trying to improve and better understand my clients' needs 🙂 Thanks!