Asking guests to conserve energy

Asking guests to conserve energy

Good day,

I was wondering about something. We have guests we are hosting in the city and were wondering if it would be rude or out of place to ask that they not run the air conditioning if they are not in the apartment or maybe ask that they run it on energy saver mode? There was an emergency in the building and we needed to enter the apartment to be sure that all was well, we did inform them that we were inside but we also noticed that they left both air conditioners running. With the cost of utilities rising we are a little concerned that the higher bill would then cause us to eventually have to increase the rate we charge future guest. We are absolutely fine with them using it when they are in the apartment and the timer and energy mode would allow them to set it to cool the space so that it is comfortable when they arrive instead of just running it all day. Just wondering as I am  a new host.

6 Replies 6
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosalind98 

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask guests not to run air-conditioning on full mode when they are out of the apartment, especially if you have an energy saving mode that they can use to keep it cool enough for their return. Many hosts ask guests not to run it at all when they are out.

However, it is a bit tricky to start making these kinds of requests after a stay has begun and you never know if the guests will get a bit touchy about it given as it's an observation of their behaviour when you unexpectedly had to enter the space.

The best thing to do is to state these things in your listing description and particularly in the house rules, so that it's something the guest should not only be aware of, but are agreeing to, when they book. Of course, a lot of guests won't read the information or necessarily follow it, but once it's in the house rules then you are well within your rights to politely remind them if they are ignoring it. 

I do find it helpful to mention these things in the context of being environmentally friendly. I am not sure if you do an in-person check in, but this is the sort of thing I would bring up again at that stage. Air conditioning is not an issue here, but heating is, and leaving on lights when not in use is an issue everywhere. I say something like, "We try to be an environmentally conscious household, especially given the current energy crisis, so it would be great if you could please remember to turn off lights when you leave the house."

Thank you so much for your advice. It totally never occurred to me to mention it or about recycling. I wasn't to sure what to include in house rules so I didn't really write anything. Any suggestions? I now know about the ac. I may have to include recycling as well as it may soon be a requirement of the building. I appreciate your response.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosalind98 

I haven't updated it in a while, but I have written in the house rules:

"Please try to be energy efficient and environmentally friendly by turning off lights and appliances you don't need. Don't leave lights on in bathrooms or other communal spaces once you have vacated them or in your room when you go out. Please turn off hallway lights before going out/going to bed unless other people are still using these areas."

I have a shared listing, so obviously the wording differs to fit with that. I haven't mentioned anything about recycling. I just explain that to guests when they check in as it's easier for them to remember that way. Recycling is generally not something I have found to be an issue with guests but, again, I am a live in host, so I think they make more effort with that sort of thing. 

Thank you so very much. This is also very helpful 

How close is this house to shopping

Zsolt32
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Ciao,

Heating-cooling can be really an issue; I experience that some guests are setting the cooling for 18C, while it is 36C outside. This is utterly stupid, unhealthy, and wasting energy. There was a guest who was cooling for 18C whole day, but started heating at night, than continiues cooling from the morning again, when he probably left the apartment. This is crazy practice, and we cant tolerate this while having energy crisys and global warming.

I believe AirBNB should set and announce acceptable range for internal temperature, and guest out of this range should be charged with additional energy fees. 

Me personally I make 21C in the winter in my home, and in the simmer I cool for 26C. But we are hosts and I understand that we should provide comfortable environment for everyone. However, there must be limits. I would propose cooling not lower than 22C, and heating not higher than 25C.

What do U think?