Cancellation for hurricane and afterwards bad commitment on reviews

Dorothea-And-Gian0
Level 2
Central Eleuthera, Bahamas

Cancellation for hurricane and afterwards bad commitment on reviews

Hello everybody

We have a guest house on the island of Eleuthera, Bahamas. I had two bookings for October 11-17. This was during Hurricane Matthew. After corresponding with my guests I told them it would be safer if they are not coming. One party cancelled by himself, for the other one I cancelled the booking. Both parties got their money back from my side. But we have now under reviews a bad comittment, thus are unable to reach a super host status. That is extremly unfair and what can we do about that? 

Best regards, Gian

6 Replies 6

Hi guys

Search for the host cancellation extenuating circumstances policy - you may well be able to claim under that and avoid the penalties currently being faced.

Think you will need to contact Airbnb and explain the situation to them.

Good luck!

Thanks, Taryn!

Angela242
Level 1
Surf City, NC

I wish you the best with getting your Superhost status back. I had to cancel a few days before a guest was to arrive because my husband had to have immediate surgery. I honored the other 2 rooms we had rented (so I still honored the 4 guests who were already checked in with my husband in surgery) but we needed the 3rd room for my husband to stay in since it was on the first floor and I sure as heck couldn't carry him up 2 flights of stairs, much less him doing it himself. After 3 years of being a Superhost they ripped it away even after I emailed proof of his surgery. We are currently looking into other booking avenues and companies since it is so easy for them to take away all you have worked for, especially after over 3 years of being a Superhost and making airbnb a lot of money. It actually made me quite sick to my stomach after giving so much for so long and all of the effort I put forward for all of my guests. I hope you are able to keep your status and may airbnb see the error in their ways.

Very best,

Angela

Thanks for your comment and very sorry to read about your story.   We don't actually had a super host status but we were close of getting one, but now it will be gone for a long time. I am quite amazed myself about the customer service, everything seems to be automated and there is no real customer service behind the system. Pretty disappointing, indeed.

Bonnie42
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

We Had the same situation with Hurricane Mathew- We had a guest coming during the hurricane.  Much of the power was out and 

St Augustine was flooded.  I gave the guest the option to come but he said no and asked me to cancel so he could get his money back.  I now have a review stating I cancelled 4 days before the arrival date.

Cynthia43
Level 2
Stateline, NV

Yeah, I've spoken to Airbnb multiple times about allowing guests to revew hosts when they CANCEL their booking. My guest just canceled over the weekend within about 12 minutes of reaching the front door. He couldn't get in using the lockbox at about 10pm on a Friday night. He told Airbnb he left because he was "cold".  Before we could help him get inside, he sent a text saying, "Nevermind, I'm on my way to a hotel. Hope I get a refund." I then had to spend hours with Airbnb when he asked the for a refund without asking us directly, and we said "no" in text to him. Worst part is that he is an Airbnb employee! So, housekeeping confirmed no one slept in our condo that night but our strict policy doesn't allow last minute cancellations, especially instant Book and for no reason and after we had given out the code to enter. Please complain to Airbnb! NO guest who does NOT stay or keep the booking should be allowed to write reviews about their STAY when they did NOT stay! This is why I would NoT give a refund. I plan to write a negative review of this guest that will post to his profile. NOT fair that he can post a negative review to my listing!