Change The Review System

Addie70
Level 3
Lilburn, GA

Change The Review System

Currently the review system is subject to abuse by guests.  Airbnb has partially addressed the issue by permitting the removal of negative reviews that are a result of a guests’ anger with being held accountable for violating the no-party policy. 

However, something needs to be done about guests leaving untruthful and/or bad reviews for unreasonable reasons.  There are some people whom you just cannot please.  I had a guest who was angry because I could not accommodate her early check-in request and so she proceeded to leave me a 1-star review for that…yes, in the review she complained about not being able to check in early.

She went looking for things to complain about and left a 1 star review claiming I was not accommodating and the place was not clean after I had nothing but 5 stars for cleanliness.  She mentioned popcorn and candy under a couch which was untrue and said that under the kitchen sink cabinet where cleaning products are stored - it was unclean.

Now everyone knows that under a kitchen sink where trash bags, and cleaning supplies are stored is not where you apply the white glove standard, but even if you want to complain about that, is that a 1-star offense?  As far as popcorn and candy under the couch – 1 is was not true, but – 2 with the type of couch that I have she would have had to either taken the time and effort to move the couch or she would have had to have gotten down on her knees and put her face just about flush to the floor to see it.  So essentially, she was trying her best to find something wrong – all because I informed her that we would not be able to allow her to check-in early – and she showed up early anyway before we could put the finishing touches on the house!  She didn’t say the bathroom was dirty or the kitchen or any of the bedrooms – but under the kitchen sink where trash bags and cleaning supplies are stored, and under a couch…c’mon!

She wrote this 1-star review after I had asked her on the day of check-in if there were any issues with the house and she did not respond with any.  She also complained about the grass being cut while she was there.  I mean really?!?  Had I not had the grass cut she would have complained about the grass being too high!   The grass is cut on a schedule by my lawn maintenance person.  Any reasonable person could clearly see that the guest was abusing the review system. 

This business is not like the big hotels who host thousands of guests per year.  A  1-star review from one customer doesn't have the potential to sink such a big business.  However, most Airbnb hosting is done as part of a small business and so 1 bad review could sink an Airbnb business - particularly a new one.

Airbnb does not do anything to protect the hosts from untruthful reviews or reviews that are a result of guests' unreasonableness.  We should be able to appeal reviews especially when they are so far out of alignment with typical reviews for a given host.  I’d had a ton of 5 star reviews for various listings. I am a Superhost, which is kind of hard to maintain.  The listing I am referencing in this case only had a few reviews, but they were all 5 star reviews.  However, when you only have a handful of reviews on a listing and then someone writes you  a 1 star review across the board well then you are then at a 4 star rating for your listing and it will take you a while to recover from that.

Given how sensitive this business is to reviews, good and bad reviews need to be legitimate and Airbnb is not doing enough to make sure that they are.  Regarding truthfulness of reviews Airbnb’s policy simply says that we are on the honor system pretty much. They say they expect guests to stand by the truthfulness of their review.   Well there are a ton of dishonest people out there.

I think that certain criteria need to be met to warrant a 1- or 2-star review such as issues with safety and health hazards.

I think that any rating below 3 stars should require evidence just like hosts have to provide evidence when we claim damage.  A 1- or 2-star rating should not be purely an emotional response.  It takes a long time to recover from a 1- or 2-star review.  Also, Airbnb needs a mechanism to address complaints that are clearly unreasonable.  Yes, every situation in determining what is reasonable will be a judgement call, but Airbnb could start with some criteria to go by and at least have the mechanism in place to make that judgment call – and it should not be purely left to some formula – there should be room for not only a formula based on certain criteria, but for also human discernment.

AirBnb needs to fix this.

24 Replies 24
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Addie70 

You are correct. 

I agree with you, side by side.

Airbnb needs to fix the untrue, unfair, and revenge reviews and improve well for both parties as to the ability to the right and make sense.

You’re not alone. I have been experienced the same situation as you many times. Recently case, the guest booking for one night stay, he arrives a few hours early at the listing. Due to the cleaning in progress, we can't let the guest check-in before without advance noticed.

We invite the guest to the Tabas cafe on the ground floor and spend on the guest Cafe and croissant.

As soon as we finished the cleaning, we called the guest to come early from the origin check-in times. That means the guest still checks in early, and we were flexible.

And we hope he appreciates our hospitality, even is not our fault.

Guess what? The next day after the guest checks out, he leaves us a review ‘ the sh**ty place,’ plus private feedback ‘ don't let your guest wait.’  ALL in 1 * star. We are so upset and feel guilty.

We have done nothing wrong and wasted 10 euros on the refreshments. We clearly described the check-in time in the announcement, reminded the guest of check-in times via Airbnb message. Yet, the guest ignores and doesn't observe the conditions.

What could we do? We contacted an Airbnb representative and mentioned it's a revenge review. Airbnb said that they didn't find ‘ the sh**ty place’  violated the Airbnb review guidelines. They can't remove the review. Oh my god, we buried it under the ground and move on, not even try to respond to the untrue review.

You have done it right, your response to the public is excellent.

It's seen Airbnb no desire to upgrade the review housing standard and guideline,

I hope Airbnb continually updated a place to improve.

Happy Hosting 😊

Yes - I totally agree re trashy reviews, after you have done nothing wrong.

you go all out to prepare the Apartment/ House - but a 1 Star review makes you wonder why make all that effort!

Guests who turn up before set Check-In time, drive you crazy!  They are often rude, self-righteous and feel privileged.  They are guests you would do well to decline.

cheers!

Allison,

Level 10

Australia

I am sorry that you had to endure that as well.  Like you I tried to get AirBnB to remove the review citing that it violated the review policy since the complaint about early check-in was irrelevant. I mean check-in time is clearly check-in time.

AirBnB stated that the review did not violate their review policy. 

@Addie70 The fact that it’s a one star review pretty clearly points to the review having been written in retaliation. Sometimes you need to try with another CS rep to find success. If in your opinion it’s worth your time, you might try a few more times, via chat, so that you can link to the review policy and the relevant part that references irrelevancy. Sometimes when  they have it staring them in the face it helps as well.

Hi @Addie70 

@Debra300  is point out correctly.

Debra, I always like your very positive mindset, your hosting journey and Inspiring me and others members. I ‘m really great appreciate😊

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Addie70,

I recommend that you read this thread if you've not done so already, https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Nervousness-when-I-get-a-review/m-p/1442936#M342956.

@Ute42 makes some very good points about the real insignificance of star ratings on the placement of listings, and subsequently the likelihood to continue receiving reservations. 

Low reviews don't always negatively impact our businesses in the manner that many hosts fear.  I opened a new listing last year (it was my fifth), and my first guest was also very unreasonable.  She left a 3* review, and that was the first and only review for over a week.  However, that didn't stop people from booking the space, because folks could read the review and see that the person was just being extra.

Personally, I don't fret over reviews, and really don't care all that much about SuperHost status.  I do my best, and if I can't please every guest, I respond appropriately and learn from the situation, but move on.

I understand the reasoning behind that thinking problem is when you get a couple of bad reviews Airbnb takes you off a listing so now you can't make money because you have guessed that wants to write bad reviews just for the hell of it half the time so that makes it hard to host I'm pretty sure no one's in here to just spend money out of your pocket for someone can just have a free stay or so you can just break even and spend all your time doing it Airbnb needs to transfer review policy it sucks there's no way around it

One or two  4 star and 3 star review can have your listed deactivated!! How is this fair or just for hosts?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Addie70 

You say - "However, something needs to be done about guests leaving untruthful and/or bad reviews for unreasonable reasons."

I see your point! However, if the reveiw system remains the same we have to know on how to deal with it.

You yourself can do something about this. Reply the review. Be gentle and polite. Explain in brief that the guest is being economical with the truth and being unreasonable!

Remmember that you are replying because future potential guests will read it. Forget the angry and focus on a rational explanation.

I have seen crazy reviews in hotels listings when I am looking for something to book... I am not dumb to believe in just one unhappy guest. So, when I have to book something, I read many reviews to take my conclusion.

Some hotel booking websites, only presents reviews when there are more than 3 or 5 reviews to avoid a very biased evalution. For example if only 1 guests rates the listing very negatively, the listing would be almost 100% negative. If only one guest rate the listing very well, it would sound as if the listing is 100% perfect.

I have had too few guests that wrote a negative review! One of them even rated one of my listings 1*.
Well, it did not harm me. I have had lots of good reviews.

As far as I know, if a listing is 4-star it does not mean that the listing is dead. They will continue to display it, and you can get lots of bookings and better it.

One more thing. In some cases, I believe it is better to ignore some review that is too ridiculous. The potential guest can perceive it is a malicious review.

@J-Renato0 Yes, I am dealing with it as it is using some of your suggestions.  However, I do hope that Airbnb does something about this.

this is exactly right Airbnb need to change that review policy cuz now with me though I am a 4.4 what's 4.6 rated I got a couple of bad reviews and I mean like three star reviews Airbnb takes me off of listing they always have host standards but no guest standards I am looking into different hosting sites cuz Airbnb sucks

@Addie70  Responding to your original post, looking at it from both sides, I agree 1-2 star reviews should be closely scrutinized by airbnb CS.    It should be safety issues, misrepresentation, or major inaccuracy of a listing, or some gross violation by the host. 

Denial of an early check should NOT be grounds.  Extra time is needed to meet airbnb's enhanced cleaning standards, and airbnb should encourage hosts to take the extra time needed. 

As you point out, a 1 or 2 star review can do irreparable damage to a listing, especially if one of the first reviews.  The listing may never get off the launch pad if one of the early reviews is 1 star!  Airbnb should pay close attention to this matter. 

Your other point about the guest providing no negative feedback during their stay is well taken.  IF they really think the stay is 1 star, they should or would have made it clear in their messages to the host during the stay so the host could address the concerns.  IF the host ignores the messages then so be it.  But you never got any message.

Personally I don't have a problem with 3 or 4 star reviews as long as the guest was not doing it in revenge for damages or violating party rules, this is another topic.......but 1 or 2 star reviews should always be closely looked at in my opinion.  Has airbnb looked at it?

@Dave52  I am not sure how much airbnb has looked into it.  They ended the conversation by saying that the review did not violate the review policy and they provided a link for me to give feedback - which I did.  I am sure that in order for it to change a lot of hosts needs to complain.

I think it would be good if there were were a strong competitor to airbnb.  Currently, there really isn't one.  I suppose VRBO would be the next closest thing to airbnb, but they have done horrible with marketing which has allowed airbnb to pretty much dominate the home-sharing market.  What makes it so bad is that technically VRBO existed first, just under another name (Homeaway) which was founded in 2004/2005!   They focused on more vacation beach property type rentals though.  They didn't see the market for everything else like airbnb did.

VRBO has taken over my listing entirely within the last year. Airbnb should beware