Guest ratings

Jenny1069
Level 2
La Palma, CA

Guest ratings

I get it that the reviews are for helping us grow and make changes accordingly. But I’ve had two guests now leave a 3-star rating for location “because it was further from the city than they expected”.

They are given a small radius of the homes location prior to booking. I don’t see how these are fair when I can’t pick up my home and move it “closer to the city”. If our super host status wasn’t reliant on a 4.9 avg., it would be easier to overlook.

Low ratings on stuff beyond our control, or not on our listing (like a 4 star I received once for not having blow up mattresses that I do not have offered on my listing).

I did put up a small little sign saying “While your review of a hotel is noted, your review of this home is graded. Please contact us with ANYTHING that will help make your stay a five-star experience”. I have not received a 4 star overall rating ever since however, the 3star for location guests seem to be confused by what that means. Its not location to their desired point of interest. It’s overall neighborhood etc., am I incorrect?! 

Well, just venting a but now but I even have a map on my listing photos. Don’t see how these low ratings on location are fair to our hard work and progress. 😕

1 Reply 1

@Jenny1069  The individual category ratings such as Location and Cleanliness do not affect your eligibility for Superhost; this is only calculated based on the Overall rating that the guest gives separately from those.

Still, Location is a vague and useless category that benefits neither host nor guest; nobody likes it. I do wonder, though, if the title of your listing "5 Miles to All Fun" might seem misleading to a small portion of your guests, who might think it refers to city stuff rather than specifically to OC theme parks. Most people have no idea how vast and spread-out the greater LA area is until they've been there; perhaps a different title would help you refine your market to the people best suited for your particular spot on the map.