Host Requesting Personal Information for their Check-In System. Scam?

David1936
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host Requesting Personal Information for their Check-In System. Scam?

Hi all,

I've just made my 2nd booking on Airbnb and the host is requesting my email and phone details. I responded that I would prefer to keep the email communication through the Airbnb Messaging System, however they have now come back saying that they need it to email me a password for their check-in system. I find it odd that they are so insistant on getting my email address, making me think this may be a scam.

Since making the booking I've also come across another listing by a different person for what looks like the same property, with exactly the same photos.

Does this sound like a scam? Should I report/flag this to Airbnb?

Many thanks,

David

5 Replies 5
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @David1936,

The host will already have the phone number that you registered with Airbnb. It's visible to them once the reservation is confirmed.

The will also have a temporary email address, not your actual one, which they can use to email you.

You can point out the above to them. The number and temporary address will be visible to them if they click on your reservation in their reservation list.

Don't give them your real email address as, as you point out, communications will be out the Airbnb system if they use it.

Steve.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@David1936  It may or may not be a scam as it could be a new host.  @Steve143 is correct and I am a huge supported of staying within the Air BNB system.  If you think there is a problem with the listing, use the small flag under the profile name to report the irregularities and find another place to book.

@David1936   If/when they do send you an email be sure to check your spam/junk folder,  airbnb temporary emails for guests sometimes end up there.  btw: You should have recieved their phone number printed on your confirmed reservation.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@David1936 many hosts are wary of the pretend abb emails, bc they are then reliant on if the guest has created alerts that make them aware of new messages. Many guests are more attentive to their "real" email accounts. But when in doubt, reach out to CS. Ask them about the possible duplicate listing.

@David1936 It may or may not be a scam, but regardless of their intentions you can make sure things stay on the up-and-up by keeping all communication on the AirBnB messaging system.

And the host already has your phone number, since the booking is confirmed.

BTW, if the topic of discussion ever gets around to sending any money to anyone *outside* of the normal AirBnB payment system, then it is definitely a scam. (Even if the recipient of the wired money is supposed to be "AirBnB International Trust Account" or something like that.)