Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Hello

I'm currently a guest in someone's AirBnB apartment. Since living in the property, it has become aparent that the Host is not the owner of the property - he has sublet the property without the permission of his landlord and the landlord knows that I'm his 'Guest' in the property.

My question is this - can the landlord kick me out and essentially bypass the Host? Also, if the Host kicks me out of the property prior to the end date, can I get a refund? 

Thanks

120 Replies 120
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

I think you should contact airbnb and explain your concerns.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You jost needs permission to let the property on AirBnB, he is not allowed to list it without that.

David

Indeed, and I sympathise with the landlord as it would invalidate his insurance amongst other things. Clearly, however, I wasn't aware of this prior to booking the place. I'm absolutely livid that the Host has put me into this position. 

What I need to know now is whether the landlord can effectively kick me out, at anytime, and whether I would be eligable for a refund if my stay was cut short (thankfully, I won't be there for that much longer). 

Hi Jim, I'm a reporter with CBS New York. Doing a story on situations like this. What city was the airbnb in? Please email me at [Personal information hidden]

Best,

Ali [Personal information hidden]
Reporter

CBS New York

I need help!!!! I have a tenant who I have evicted because she violated her lease by airb&bing our property. Since we live in Venice, it’s nearly impossible to evict her without paying for her relocation fees. We have tried numerous times to reach out to air Bnb but no help. HELP

@Jeanette74

Why do you need to contact AirBnB?

David

I need help!!!! I have a tenant who I have evicted because she violated her lease by airb&bing our property. Since we live in Venice, it’s nearly impossible to evict her without paying for her relocation fees. We have tried numerous times to reach out to air Bnb but no help. HELP

Tenant has been evicted but refuses to leave, she violated lease by Airbnbing place! Since we live in California is nearly impossible to get her out without paying for relocation fees up to 10k plus lawyer fees.

Still begs the question, is the property still listed and you want the listing closed?

David

The property is still listed, airbnb isn’t helping us out! She’s a tenant from hell!!! I want the listing close so she can leave! We didn’t renew her lease, and evicted her but the law favors her because she’s a tenant and we must pay her to leave. So not only is she making money off of our property she’s trying to hustle us for relocation fees. She can’t afford living in Venice, Ca without air bnbing that’s why the listing needs to be done 

Can you find the listing and then go to every guest and evict them individually? Essentially shut her down yourself? If she is renting out the entire residence and has guests arriving you should be able to see her calendar and inform guests as they arrive they are in an illegal rental. Wouldn’t take long for her reviews to drop and essentially close her down. Airbnb needs to be sued by property owners to prevent tenants from renting the properties out. I am an owner and no way would I ever let a tenant sublet my home. If anyone is going to make the money then I will. If they want to rent on Airbnb then purchase their own **bleep** home and do so if they please but not someone else’s. 

You said she is the tenant from hell... What else has she done?

The property is still listed, airbnb isn’t helping us out! She’s a tenant from hell!!! I want the listing close so she can leave! We didn’t renew her lease, and evicted her but the law favors her because she’s a tenant and we must pay her to leave. So not only is she making money off of our property she’s trying to hustle us for relocation fees. She can’t afford living in Venice, Ca without air bnbing that’s why the listing needs to be done

You can flag a listing and maybe contact AirBnB on Twitter, not sure if this is a solution as there are of course lots of booking sites.

David