Host put in a fraudulent damage claim for $900 and AirBnB sided with them

Leon46
Level 1
Palo Alto, CA

Host put in a fraudulent damage claim for $900 and AirBnB sided with them

I recently spent 3 months in a Miami AirBnB for which I paid roughly $3000 for my entire stay. I had a bedroom inside of a house where my host was also staying.

I used the induction stove he had in the kitchen to make a few meals here and there, but mostly I ate out. The stove's glasstop received a few scratches, but nothing drastic or out of the ordinary for normal use. Before I left, the host told me that he was going to file a claim through AirBnB for the stove, but that I could just dispute it and AirBnB would cover the charge. I didn't have much say in the matter.

Lo and behold, AirBnB charges me $900 for the cost of replacing the ENTIRE stove. Obviously, the burden of proof on the host was very low, since the stove was working perfectly fine when I left. After multiple emails to the resolution center, I have received basically no information from AirBnB regarding how my case was handled, and they refuse to communicate with me any more on the subject.

In short, I've been defrauded of $900.

This is a big deal for me. $900 is a lot of money for a college student. I'm disappointed in AirBnB for siding with a fraudulent claim. It seems my only option is to take this to a small claims court, but I'm wondering if there are any cleaner options. Thank you.

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Leon46

If if was through your credit card that the money was taken then they make have a requiriiement to investigate cases like this

Unfortunately it was charged through debit, otherwise I would have challenged the charge through my bank.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A very rare case, @Leon46. Airbnb usually does NOT refund hosts. A good question is what made them hurry here...

One point - the concept of normal wear and tear may vary... Scratches on a glasstop are not 'normal' - pots are smooth. I have a 5-year-old glasstop - frequently used and hardly any scratches.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

You may be right. Regardless, the entire stove doesn't need to be replaced. The host actually said that it was no problem and that he would fix it with a buffer.

I have a induction stove top and the scratches are gone with that special cream. Most of the time Airbnb sides with the host (I am both host and traveler), I think you can still dispute with your bank, is it a VISA debit card?  I rented a place in Boston, it was disgusting and thanks to Amex I did not have to pay, the place was in the BEST neighbourhood of Boston but the guy was a pig, Airbnb gave me 100$ back and it was a total of 1000!!!

Next time pay with credit!