Host violations

Jeff458
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Host violations

Ive just been deducted 50% of my rental because my stove didnt work for 3 days out of 5. It was new 6 months ago and as the guest complained I just fitted a brand new one, also our wifi went down through no fault of our own and we had to wait a week for a new router. Is this crazy? even hotels dont gurantee the wifi is working. Is it really accpetable to deduct 50%. I have just had a two week holiday in the apartment and spent a week of that holiday redecorating and making it a great place for airbnbers and I feel absolutley gutted. 

We have been a big fan of airbnb for years and have had some great guests and great reviews, I also travel and am an avid airbnber, and have never asked for a discount if a small amienity is not working. I feel the sence of community has disappeared from airbnb and they are fast becomeing loathed by hosts rather than loved. I'm so pissed off right now, I'm about to cancel my airbnb account and go back to their competitors and simple booking platforms.....  Any advice? 

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I sympathize, but it doesn't really matter what was under your control. These things were not under the guest's control either-- the guest paid for amenities as advertised and didn't get them. I'd expect to refund in your place.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeff458 Wifi and a hob are not "small amenities."  They have been advertised as available and if they were not working the guest is entitled to feel short changed.  

You mention  that the "sense of community" has been lost during the time you have been an Airbnb host and in many ways I agree  with you - it has.  But surely Airbnb was set up as a home sharing facility, not a facility for renting out an appartment in a different country using a managing agent, as you do.  

Françoise311
Level 2
Paris, France

I sympathise, guests are more and more demanding and want exactly the same level of guarantee than hotels can provide, with 3 times the space and equipment for a third of the hotel price!! Airbnb is apartments sharing between people, as hosts we tend to profesionalize our skills but we aren’t still professionals! What we offer is the best we can do but we can’t control everything. Some guests are highly ddisappointed because a bulb goes off, the taxi missed the right address because incompletely spelled and blame the host for lack of precision etc. ..

I think Airbnb should remind we don’t offer hotel safety in everything, we work, we have families, sometimes we’re not in the same country, we don’t have our own plummer or so.