House keeping

Answered!
Shelley205
Level 1
Greater Sudbury, Canada

House keeping

Looking for help/suggestions on house keeping for guests that book 30+ stays. Do I just tell the guest that on these days and times this is when I will be coming in to do house keeping.  Please help, thank you.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shelley205  That's why I said you should make mention of it in your listing description (and I'd also be sure to make it clear in a message to guests when they book or request to book). If a guest doesn't like the idea, they have the choice not to book, or to cancel their reservation within the 48 hour grace period.

It's your home and your rules- guests don't have a choice to agree to it or not. If they book, they're agreeing to it. Just like they can't bring dogs to a no pets listing or smoke in a no-smoking listing. 

If they balk, just say "I'm sorry, but that's how I run my business. If it's objectionable to you, you are most welcome to look for another listing."

You're wise to go in on a regular basis, sorry it took a guest leaving it filthy to get to that point. Not only will it help you make sure the place doesn't get too bad, it should also tend to make guests a little more respectful if they know you'll be seeing how they live once a week or so.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shelley205  Yes, and you should also mention it in your listing. You don't want to get guests who take offense that you'll be doing that, thinking they'll just have total privacy the entire tiime. Do try to arrange a suitable time with the guest, though. If they are early risers, they might be fine with you starting at 9AM, but if they're the type who sleep in until 10 and take awhile to get into gear, afternoons might be better if you can accommodate that.

Shelley205
Level 1
Greater Sudbury, Canada

What do you suggest I do if the guest doesn't want you to come in to do house keeping and they tell you that they can manage on their own.  And when they leave the place is filthy  ( it took me 7 hours to clean the place)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shelley205  That's why I said you should make mention of it in your listing description (and I'd also be sure to make it clear in a message to guests when they book or request to book). If a guest doesn't like the idea, they have the choice not to book, or to cancel their reservation within the 48 hour grace period.

It's your home and your rules- guests don't have a choice to agree to it or not. If they book, they're agreeing to it. Just like they can't bring dogs to a no pets listing or smoke in a no-smoking listing. 

If they balk, just say "I'm sorry, but that's how I run my business. If it's objectionable to you, you are most welcome to look for another listing."

You're wise to go in on a regular basis, sorry it took a guest leaving it filthy to get to that point. Not only will it help you make sure the place doesn't get too bad, it should also tend to make guests a little more respectful if they know you'll be seeing how they live once a week or so.