How can I protect myself as a host?

Alfredo46
Level 1
Vitoria, Brazil

How can I protect myself as a host?

Planing to start to be a host. But I'm really afraid about how to put people that you don't know to use your stuffs, like TV, kitchen, weather, electricity. How can I protect myself???

3 Replies 3
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alfredo46,

Welcome to the Community Center! That's great that you are looking to start out as a host! I suggest that before you get started you have a look around the Community Center, as there are lots of good resources to help you. This list of Community Help Guides created by other hosts is particularly useful and gives useful information about various aspects of hosting. 

In terms of protecting yourself, many hosts recommend adding a security deposit to your listing. It is also important to have clear and comprehensive house rules.

I have moved your post here to a new thread so that it doesn't get lot in another conversation and it is easier to find. I have also given it a title, please let me know if you want to change it!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Kirstie

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

As mentioned above, make sure you have a reasonable security deposit included in your listing as well as comprehensive House Rules to protect you.  Also, make sure to chat with your guests before accepting their reservation.  Get a feel for them, their intentions, their vacation plans, etc.  This should help put you more at ease with them using your things.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Alfredo46  you provide your own weather?

Make sure that in your house rules and in the information you provide to every guest that you state what facilities are available and if there are any restrictions. With things like electricity and TV there is no much you can do: guests expect electricity and most hosts will provide a TV and it would be very streange to limit how much a guest can use it.  If you do want to limit it then you might need a timer or something similar. For the kitchen be very clear what a guest can and cannot use and make sure anything they cannot use is locked away.