How to prevent guests from abusing your hospitality.

Erin219
Level 2
Greenville, SC

How to prevent guests from abusing your hospitality.

How do I prevent guests from using things they shouldn't, such as the laundry room, when I am not home?  My water  usage went from 4000 gals a month to 12,000 gals a month, just from guests washing items they had in storage, and one guest stayed 5 weeks and washed her clothes from the day before , ONE OUTFIT AT A TIME. 

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Erin219  Put in your rules that guests are allowed to use of the washer and dryer 1 time per 7 day stay. You could also remove the washer and dryer from your amenities offered, so they can not use it at all. This is what a lot of shared home owners do. They keep them unplug, so if the guest tries to use it it won't work. You simply plug it in when you need it. If it's possible to put a lock on the door where they are located that works even better to prevent guests from using them. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I've seen so much complains for excessive use of washer and dryer here on CC ! We don't offer it for the same reason but we do have a leaflet for self service loundry 2 blocks away and point them there.

Put a lock on the door.

Erin219
Level 2
Greenville, SC

Thanks, I DO have it in the rules that long stay guests may use the washer and dryer one time per week.  The two guests who abused it did so while I was  at work, and my son who lives here didn't realize it wasn't approved use.  One other guest who was only staying one night used it after I left for work, and then she didn't check out at 11 as stated, but stayed until 3 PM and she also raided my pantry of quite a few staples. A friend who checks on things for me came by at 2:45 and told me she was still in the home and he found her "poking about in the pantry".  She left when he showed up and I blocked her from ever contacting me again.  The washer and dryer are in my pantry room, and it seems installing a lock on the door will be the best answer.  You meet all types!!!!  Mostly great, but some odd ones.