I'm new at this but I'm wondering how you handle someone who booked for two adults and brought 3.

Susan1803
Level 2
Morton, IL

I'm new at this but I'm wondering how you handle someone who booked for two adults and brought 3.

She checked in last night after 1 am, and when I brought more towels today, she told me the "kids" were still sleeping....adult college students, her son and girlfriend.  It was clearly booked for 2.  We charge per adult a nominal additional fee of $19 per night.  I can't change the reservation since she's already arrived.  What are my options?  I sent a message through the portal indicated they must of had an oversight on the number of people...what more should I do?  And I imagine it will happen again.  Is there no recourse once the guests arrive?

7 Replies 7
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Susan1803 

Airbnb ToS:

"...

8.3.3 You may not bring any additional individuals to an Experience, Event or other Host Service unless such an individual was added by you as an additional guest during the booking process on the Airbnb Platform.

..."

"What are my options?"

Resolution Center

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Susan1803 Your house is extremely inexpensive, even with the extra person fee added for 6 people. If you want to avoid this headache in the future, you may consider just having a flat rate whether it's 1 or 6 people (I would still book for two at your 6 guest rate.)

Or in the future, you could also let the guest know when they book that the number of guests must be accurate. Say something like "The Airbnb booking system has your reservation confirmed for X amount of guests. If this number is incorrect or changes before your arrival, please send a message ahead of time to let me know. It is important that we know how many guests will be staying to better prepare the space and charge accordingly.

Also, put in your house rules that there is a per person charge of X amount for each guest over two. This way the guest can't say that they weren't made aware.

As for your current reservation, you could send the guest a request for more funds for the extra person. Click "Send or Request Money." But weigh the costs of potentially getting a bad review or the guest playing dumb and refusing to pay. 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Susan1803 at least if you request the money and they don't pay then you will have additional material for a review.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Susan1803  I would stay friendly and just send a "request for money" . If they ask just say something in passing like..."Oh, that AirBnB website is such that I can't actually change your booking so they make me send a request like that. Thanks so much for being so understanding. Can I get you some more tea?"

Please don't let any fear of a negative review keep you from advocating for yourself in anyway as a host. Just like children in a classroom....guests need expectations, boundaries, and reasonable responses from the adults in the room....

Susan1803
Level 2
Morton, IL

Awesome advice!  Thank you so much!  Sue

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I kindly message every guest once they instant book/request to book or message me to confirm that the # of guests is correct. It prevents them sneaking unauthorized people into your Airbnb.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

There is not much you can do now but to ask for more money on the website. But they can refuse.

What I suggest is changing your house rules. I state in mine that any aditional guests not on the reservation will have to pay x per night (I usually double what I normally charge, so as to discourage people from doing that). You also need to prove it. Survailance cameras are always a good ideia. 

If it is in the house rules airbnb usually enforces the charge.