I was scammed by an Airbnb Host

Yi-Ting5
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I was scammed by an Airbnb Host

I was scammed by this Airbnb Host, the story is long so please bear with me.  I have checked in early into this place in Edinburgh on 6th September 2022, the posting pictures look good but omg the apartment block itself is sketchy af. There's someone that look like a druggie that keep knocking on our door, we couldn't take it so we contacted the host and she was happy with a full refund upon cancellation, Airbnb support approved this as well. Just after I have finished my trip in UK, when I was checking my mailbox, I saw this email of Airbnb which was sent on 13th September 2022 where the host has filled for a damage property report and asking for an reimbursement of the same exact amount of the rent. 

YiTing5_0-1663487247500.pngYiTing5_1-1663487277038.png

YiTing5_2-1663487297780.png

I am so mad because the host didn't even put a picture of the thing that got stolen, instead she just use her advertisement picture and circle out the stuff I have apparently stolen. I have contacted Airbnb on this but yet to get a conclusion. I'm so annoyed at this host as she failed to disclose the condition of the property at her first place, and then trying to make us pay for her missing items which we did not steal. Not to mention that she only filled it 7 days after we have checked out of the property. A lot of stuff can happen in 7 days, her other guests could have steal it, her neighbor could have steal them, the constructions worker could have break into her property through her window and steal her stuff. 

We then went on a trip with a tour agent on 7th September 2022 at 9am which is impossible for us to bring alone the stuff that she claimed that we have stolen. I honestly have no idea what I can do now. 

37 Replies 37
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Yi-Ting5 So sorry to here this. But you can deny the claim. 

Yi-Ting5
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hello @Gwen386 , Airbnb emailed me and this issue weren't on the application, so I am not sure how can I deny the claim.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Yi-Ting5 

Sorry to hear this, The host does have 14 days to make a claim which she did in 7 days,

Just deny the claim.

@Sudsrung0 She filed it after 3 days, I have messaged her and she say that she has made a police report which weren't attached in the property damaged form. Her listing is still on Airbnb which is odd tho. I'm not sure where can I deny the claim as it wasn't on the application.

@Yi-Ting5 

Are you able to leave a review?

@Sudsrung0 I have left a review but it's not appearing on her listing.

@Yi-Ting5 your review will appear either when she reviews you or 14 days after your stay whichever is the sooner

@Mike-And-Jane0 well, I'll be damned if she leaves a bad review on my profile. It's my first time using Airbnb so idk how this works

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Yi-Ting5 Ask for a copy of the police report so that you can contact the police and explain that you did not steal the items.

@Mike-And-Jane0 I have asked for the police report but she mentioned that Airbnb are in contact with the police and ask me to contact Airbnb. I have contacted Airbnb before  but they never mentioned anything about police.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Yi-Ting5 I very much doubt that Airbnb are in contact with the police. Just keep demanding the police report from the host or Airbnb and hopefully the whole thing will go away soon!

@Mike-And-Jane0  I don't want to go through the host because she's really uncooperative, I am just waiting for Airbnb support to verify if police are involved. In fact, I hope that police is involved so I can contact the police straight and they can collect the evidence such as streets cameras. This is my first time using Airbnb and can't believe this is happening to me 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is no point asking Airbnb if the police are involved. They won't know. 

Just message the host and ask for a copy of the police report. It doesn't matter if she is unco-operative Airbnb will be able to see if she has shared a report claiming stolen items. @Yi-Ting5 

Yi-Ting5
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Helen3 I've asked my host for it but she wouldn't send it to me and asked me to talk to Airbnb instead