Incorrectly penalised by Air B'nB

David609
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Incorrectly penalised by Air B'nB

Hi there,

I hope you can help.

I recently listed my property on your site and received a booking for 30th and 31st January.  Whilst contemplating whether to accept the stay we decided that as we will be out of the UK over Christmas and New Year it is better for us to have a minimum stay of 9 nights from 23rd December as we will not be able to accept any check in or check outs after this time until we return to London.

As such I explained the situation to the guest who only wanted two nights and declined the booking - your website has now made 30th and 31st December unavailable at our property even though it is and so we are prevented from any New Years or Christmas bookings at this time.

How can I make sure our property shows as available over 23rd to 2nd Jan entirely?

Thank you

David

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@David0This isn't BNB it's a forum for hosts who try and help each other 🙂

If you decline a book as not being appropriate it shouldn't block your dates.

I would suggest you give BNB a call to resolve. If you don't have their details the first post under Community Help forum has all the ways of contacting BNB.

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

David, as much as it pains me to say it, you may not have been incorectly penalised. Firstly, you've been a little spartan on detail, but reading between the lines, I assume this is what has occured:

1. You accepted a reservation, in good faith, either by approving the booking request, or enabling the Instant Book option.

2. You re-evaluated your circumstances, and cancelled the guest's reservation, which incurs censure, not least of which is that host cancellation is an infraction which entitles Airbnb to block off your clanedar, fine you, and/or suspend your eligibility for superhost status.

A host simply cannot make amendments on a whim, unless under duress or extentuating circumstances (which are limited to serious instances -  "changing my holiday plans" most certainly doesn't constitute said circumstances.) This has consequences. For you, the guest and the company (namely Airbnb, who bear the expense of refunding your guest in full, with bonus reparations, and dedicating customer service assistance to re-host the guest you cancelled at company expense.)

If my assessment is incorrect, I apologise i advance. But if I am correct, I highly doubt you'll receive any remedy from Airbnb.

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Did you cancel?

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@David126 He said he declined the booking so my advice was based on that but perhaps he did cancel the booking.

Hopefully he will come back and give us an update on this situation.