Is it horrible to ask for women or couples only ?

Audrey287
Level 2
Portland, OR

Is it horrible to ask for women or couples only ?

Is it awful to have a listing that states a preferred gender, however, I would want to be able to decline a male guest if I feel uncomfortable. I hosted in 2014 and 2015 and had both single men and women and couples. I had to stop until now due to health reasons and would like to start up again and ask for women only. 

4 Replies 4
Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

If you live in your listing it's fine to specify that guests must be of the same gender - and I guess also fine to say that male guests must beaccompanied by a female guest.  If you don't live in your listing (ie share living accomodation such as a bathroom or kitchen with your guests) you cannot discriminate 0n the basis of gender.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Basically it’s your home.....you can invite who ever you like into your home or otherwise.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually that's not true @Victoria567 if you use Airbnb. You cannot discriminate against guests in your home on the basis of colour, religion, sexuality etc

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen0

I dont mean discriminating against guests on the basis of colour, religion, or sexuality as to quote our National Bard the great Robbie Burns....” We are all Jock Thompson’s bairns”

What I mean is it’s my homevand I can invite who I like into my home...as long as I feel safe and comfortable doing so.