Listing Critique - Sarah in Prosser, WA

Answered!
Sarah4634
Level 2
Prosser, WA

Listing Critique - Sarah in Prosser, WA

Please Help! Our listing has a low views to booking ratio.

BP-8.jpg

https://abnb.me/3JEoUgPHgrb

We are hoping to tweak the listing to increase bookings! Any advice, no matter how brutal, is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sarah

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Sarah4634  I'd lower your capacity. One of the big mistakes that new hosts make is thinking that more guests/capacity = better, but that's not necessarily the case. As @Solveig0 said, you need the rest of the house to accommodate the capacity you're advertising. Overall, I think a capacity of 7 in a three bedroom house is more than reasonable. 

I'd also change your title. Blackout blinds are great, but probably not something that people are specifically searching for. You're taking up valuable title real estate by advertising that as a selling point. Likewise with the fireplace. Figure out who your target market is (families? couples?) and adjust your title accordingly with words that might appeal to that market. 

You should also utilize the captions feature with your pics. Describe what you're showing in the pics and how the house flows, "second bedroom with queen bed- off the upstairs hall, adjacent to the bathroom." Something like that......It really boosts guests' understanding of how your house flows. 

Last, some area rugs. A personal preference of mine, but it really warms up a home. As The Dude says, "it really pulls the room together."

Oh, and this may have nothing to do with your listing at all. Views and bookings plummeted after the recent ABB "update" that removed listing titles, categorized listings according to ABB (but not necessarily correctly), and made the search feature even more inaccurate. Listing titles are now back, but the ripple affect is still in play. 

Good luck! Kia

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah4634 In my opinion you are shoe-horning beds into the listing. If you have priced it to other properties which sleep 10 then are they similar or do they have proper living accommodation and bedrooms to suit 10 people?

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Sarah4634 , in my view, the first image - with the colorful sky - just looks too fake, and that puts me off the whole listing, because I don't know if I can trust it. Does that make sense? 

Solveig0_0-1656577150924.png

Other than that it looks bright and airy, nice and fresh. 

One thing I think could bring value, this being a big house, is an indoor map - or what do you call it? - with an outline of the rooms in the house, the layout. 

You say you can host 10 guests, but there's only space for 6 around the dining table? And are there seats for everyone on the couches? These things are important for people traveling together, that they also can be together, eat together, and socialize together. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Sarah4634  I'd lower your capacity. One of the big mistakes that new hosts make is thinking that more guests/capacity = better, but that's not necessarily the case. As @Solveig0 said, you need the rest of the house to accommodate the capacity you're advertising. Overall, I think a capacity of 7 in a three bedroom house is more than reasonable. 

I'd also change your title. Blackout blinds are great, but probably not something that people are specifically searching for. You're taking up valuable title real estate by advertising that as a selling point. Likewise with the fireplace. Figure out who your target market is (families? couples?) and adjust your title accordingly with words that might appeal to that market. 

You should also utilize the captions feature with your pics. Describe what you're showing in the pics and how the house flows, "second bedroom with queen bed- off the upstairs hall, adjacent to the bathroom." Something like that......It really boosts guests' understanding of how your house flows. 

Last, some area rugs. A personal preference of mine, but it really warms up a home. As The Dude says, "it really pulls the room together."

Oh, and this may have nothing to do with your listing at all. Views and bookings plummeted after the recent ABB "update" that removed listing titles, categorized listings according to ABB (but not necessarily correctly), and made the search feature even more inaccurate. Listing titles are now back, but the ripple affect is still in play. 

Good luck! Kia

@Sarah4634  Just adding to the chorus here, but 10 guests is way too many for this home! Your cute farmhouse dining table appears to seat only 6. 

I'm not sure how much of a selling point the blackout blinds are, but you might be on to something - I've definitely had some guests who were hypersensitive to morning light. It would be nice to have a warmer indoor lighting scheme for when those are in use.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 @Solveig0 and @Kia272 that your capacity should be 7, not 10.  The title could refer to Yakima River area attractions or some such.  (And "fireplace" is one word, not two btw.)  In addition to some area rugs mentioned by @Kia272 (and I love a Big Lebowski reference related to hosting :)), maybe a little more color from throw pillows or posters on the walls.  Is there no outdoor space that people can enjoy?  If there's a yard or a patio, that should be shown as well.  Finally, raise your price.  $195 for 10 people is $19.50 a night; for 7 people it's $28 a night.  There are people who will actually be put off by how low that is.  Overall, think about your target market - why are people coming to Prosser? - and pinpoint that in your description, because AI looks for keywords.  Don't say "pretend you're a vampire," because what kind of people will you get?  People who will one day appear on Dateline.  If I was considering your property and read that, I'd move on.  Your place is lovely and I know bookings will grow.  Too low a price speaks of desperation and you don't need to be desperate.  Good luck!

@Ann72 The Dude abides

@Kia272  😂  💯