No profile photo

Answered!

No profile photo

Hi why don’t guests have profile photos I have a guest on Monday and have no idea what they look like it should be compulsory 

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa934

According to airbnb rules, it is compulsory, but I have noticed that guests get verified without a photo in their profile - this actually happened with my last booking.

Simply communicate with the guest and ask them nicely to upload a photo to their profile.

View Best Answer in original post

98 Replies 98
Mick49
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I used to use guest profile images 'prior to booking' to assist in filtering out potential rif raff - AIRBNB - THEY ARE STAYING IN OUR PRIVATE PREFSONAL HOMES it's not a hotel. Now we're at the mercy of hoping for the best once a booking is confirmed & we maybe get to see the guest. Twice now in 2 months I've had bookings that would have previously been declined, book & make a mess of my newly painted apartment. Airbnb - given this is OUR HOMES your using please put logic, safety & the maintenance of OUR HOMES before your 'politically correct' stance which puts all hosts at risk and our properties at risk. How are we supposed to maintain high end properites when you guys are removing the tools for us to decide who stays IN OUR HOMES. 

Debbie422
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

What is with this new rule that they don't show a guest's picture until they book? I don't like this AT ALL. I've been a host for 3 1/2 years and I certainly don't discriminate, but I can tell a lot about a person from a photo. How long has this been in place? Can't be that long, although I admit my last guest was here for 2 months. Very upsetting. How do you voice a complaint?

Jason772
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I agree completely. I want to know who I am letting into my house to come and live with me. Complete bull**bleep**. I've unlisted my property.

How do u voice a complaint??

i had to refuse a guy who was holding a gun in his pic!! 

Jocelyne13
Level 3
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Yes we should complain.

The following are my thoughts about how to address this new rule.  I would just put a valid photo requirement of the guest within your house rules.  Explain what a valid photo is and make sure that photo and house rules are required for booking.  After a booking if they don't have a valid photo they would be in violation of the house rules.  You are able to cancel an instant booking if you are not comfortable with the guest.  I would say not having a valid photo would be one reason to not be comfortable.  The gray area would be the guest that you pre-approve.  I would think you would need to contact airbnb support to cancel the reservation so that you are not penalized for the cancelation.

I would love to hear from Airbnb or community if my thoughts on this are on track.

Maryann101
Level 3
Terrebonne, OR

The new policy of Not seeing the photo before the booking is complete is just Wrong. They can see the host, why can't we see them??  Was there complaints or something that made Airbnb change this?  Shouldn't the reasons be the same on Both sides of the equation??

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just tick the box on your listing that says you require a photo for all guests, then you won't have someone book without one @Maryann101

If you have IB turned on, you won't notice any difference - you will see the photo on booking.

If not, you will see it once the booking is confirmed.

Unfortunately there are hosts who don't provide photos of themselves either.

You are right it should be compulsory for both.

Hosts need to be protected in their own homes. Air BnB is not doing their job - just collecting the money regardless of safety issues. 

Cheryl

@Cheryl464 It may come as as surprise to find that is not something Airbnb can do at all. H

Maryann101
Level 3
Terrebonne, OR

how is this considered "resolved"  when so many of us are unhappy with the new "no photo" issue?

Ro24
Level 2
West Babylon, NY

Why am I not able to see a profile photo before accepting a reservation? I want to be able to see a photo of the person coming in. I accepted a reservation from a women that wound up using my apartment to host male companions coming in and out every hour.... I had to ask her to leave!!! I don't like the idea of not being able to see who is coming into my apatment! Just like they are able to see the host before they book, we need to be able to see them as well. A photo speaks a thousand words!!

Bert26
Level 2
Linn Creek, MO

We completely agree with everyone who is outraged by Airbnb's double standard:  Hosts must reveal a photo of themselves but it's completely optional for guests. And actually it's even worse -- guests are permitted to have a little fun at our expense by offering a "profile" photo displaying a teddy bear, a fish, or worse:  I had someone whose face was covered up to his eyes by a bandana, bank-robber style! (He was politely advised to find other accomodations)

We're now considering our options, including those mentioned here. Would love to hear from someone who has found the ideal solution to this all-too-obvious problem:  changing our listing, house rules, etc. 

Pamela211
Level 2
Omagh, United Kingdom

Hi everybody, I feel the same as most of you , I like to see who wants to stay in my house.

i have numbers a host for nearly five years and a super host most of that time. I welcome everyone who wants to stay with me , I pick people up, feed them and for no extra charge, just to be a good host/person.  It is really is unfair for hosts not to see who wants to stay in their home, this always gave me a sense of security.  I have learned not to judge a book by the cover , the cover is the boring part of a book after all!! 

But , the best example I can use to demonstrate why the photo is so important  was billy. In Billy’s profile pic he was holding a gun.  Enough said???  

As hosts, we have no opportunity for discretion ?? 

Airbnb also encourage us to use instant book and we are penalised if we cancel a booking?? Most of us host secondary to our working lives , we are not hoteliers !

i will have to reconsider hosting if this does not work out

Corinne284
Level 2
Hurleyville, NY

Feels like discrimination against Hosts to me!