One-off deposit setting

One-off deposit setting

Hi.

I set my cancellation policy as medium, and restrict bookings to a 3-month window from the date of booking. I have been asked by a previous guest if they can book for January, and they're willing to pay a deposit now. 

The dates they are asking for are quite disruptive for my family, but I'm happy enough to oblige by moving our family holiday around - as long as this guest does not cancel on us. So - am I able to change the setting for this one booking? That is, can I change this booking to strict, but leave all other bookings on the moderate setting?

I am yet to send her the offer (since it's more than 3 months out), but would like to do so soon.

Thanks in advance, Cat.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Catriona51 we take private bookings from repeat guests and ask them to pay in full at the point of booking. Thus there is no need to worry about cancellation policies etc.

@Mike-And-Jane0 What does private bookings mean?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 it just means  a private arrangement between a guest and the host. Once a guest has completed their Airbnb stay both the host and guest can deal direct with each other. Of course you lose the Airbnb protections but if you are happy with the guest this isn't too big a deal.

@Mike-And-Jane0,

IMO, the main Airbnb protections that a host misses from taking a direct booking from a repeat guest is the reviews that the parties can leave for each other on the platform.  Other than that, a host has better protections from a guest's potential poor behavior by handling the payment transaction with access to the guest's credit card and ID at the time of booking or check-in.  The host gets to avoid sub-standard ABB customer service, has the flexibility to easily adjust rates or add fees for last minute changes or requests, e.g., pet fee, equipment rental, addition or reduction in number of guests, change in amount of space to be used, etc.  

It has been stated for years that Airbnb's Host Guarantee/Air Cover have fallen short of helpful for both guests and hosts.  Host should have home owner's or some type of business insurance for their STRs, and guest should purchase travel insurance to protect their travel investment (and possibly rental insurance for long-term stays, because a host's home owner's insurance will not cover the guest's belonging).

Thanks Mike.

But surely Airbnb don't want me to take a private booking if the guest is willing to book again through Airbnb?