Remote hosts: how to achieve 5 stars ?

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

Remote hosts: how to achieve 5 stars ?

We are currently purchasing a property 5 hours from us in a touristy area that we frequently visit.  Currently the property is listed on Airbnb and has a rating on 4.53, it’s managed by an agency.  I would like to do some repairs and then continue with the agency at least at first until I can find cleaners, etc.  Our other listing I manage and I am there every week setting up,  putting fresh flowers and other amenities.  I’m curious now that I won’t be able to do this,  what are the basic amenities you can provide and still get 5 stars, without the personal service. 

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michelle1851 I'm not a remote host, but I'll pop in just to get your post out there....

I think one can still provide personal service even when not physically present. If you provide all the extra touches you normally would that make guests feel at home, comfortable, and lacking for nothing....such as ample linens and extra blankets, toys and games, a well stocked kitchen, local recommendations, etc etc. you're golden. I imagine the real challenge with remote hosting is finding good reliable cleaning help! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Michelle1851 my recommendation is to find a reliable local co-host. As @Colleen253 mentioned that can be hard in some areas.

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Michelle1851  I am new to hosting so I can’t speak to how to maintain the 5 star rating. But I am a remote host and I agree with @Colleen253 . I have my place well stocked with extras of everything (like tp, toiletries, bug spray, blankets, sunscreen, etc). I also provide a small basket of snacks and a s’mores kit. My cleaning person helps me with this and tells me when I need to restock. I will say that despite being “remote”, myself or my husband go out at least one time a week or every two weeks just to check on everything. I hope this helps and I’m sure since you are so experienced, you will have no problem! 

Alex208
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

@Michelle1851 above getting a good housekeeping team, we have a locked closet that they have a key to that has additional amenities that have long shelf life for the housekeeping team to put out after each check-out cleaning. It's not personalized, but the guests appreciate it. Keurig or Nespresso machine with plenty of pods, bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash), maybe a bottle of wine if you know it will always be someone 21 and over. The other part is if possible to add a smart lock to make self check-in seamless and easy. I also visit the house I host remotely, and am able to restock items when I'm there.