Reservation cancelled by AirBNB

Hugo302
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

Reservation cancelled by AirBNB

My trip was cancelled due to insufficient funds three days ago (25th of April), yet I recieved no information when the payment would be withdrawn from my account (I had two payments), nor any information that it had been cancelled. How does Airbnb's policy work regarding informing guests when they need to pay the full amount?

Surely the system cannot be set up in such a way that guests are expected to have the full amount avaliable at anytime, and not provide any information when they will be charged, or am I wrong? I spoke to the host and he said he had not recieved any information about the cancellation which got me thinking that maybe it is just a glitch.

Now having three days until departure, prices are much higher than when we originally booked so is it likely that I will be compensated by Airbnb (since I recieved no information of payment dates or cancellation) or is the fault on me?

Does anyone have any similar experiences or are able to provide some answers?

1 Reply 1
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When you make a booking with Airbnb, @Hugo302, you are often charged in two installments. This is made clear when making the reservation. It tells you that the final payment will be made two weeks (if memory serves) before the stay and that you need to have sufficient funds in place to cover this.

The same information is displayed in 'Your trip overview' area of the booking. 

On that basis:

>>Surely the system cannot be set up in such a way that guests are expected to have the full amount avaliable at anytime, and not provide any information when they will be charged, or am I wrong?<<

It isn't.

>>Now having three days until departure, prices are much higher than when we originally booked so is it likely that I will be compensated by Airbnb (since I recieved no information of payment dates or cancellation) or is the fault on me?<<

I'd say it's down to you (I'm afraid). 

Either way, get on to Airbnb customer services, and sharpish.