Worried about accepting guest with no profile & no response to my messages

Answered!
Gail136
Level 1
Llangattock, United Kingdom

Worried about accepting guest with no profile & no response to my messages

I have (perhaps unwisely) finally accepted a booking from a guest from South Africa who has wanted to book for 3 nights in my accommodation in the UK in order to attend a cycle race "nearby".  He says it will be 2 guests, I don't know who the other guest is and he wants to leave stuff in the room with a very late check out after the last race. The guest only has a first name and 3 Airbnb Verifications, one by Facebook.  No previous reviews and I can't find trace of him through Facebook either.  

I checked out the cycle races which appear to be happening about 60 miles away which is a long way to travel by bike or car to sleep each night.  Airbnb have put pressure on me to either accept or decline with an irritating countdown clock to remind me how long I have left to respond.  However, despite sending the guest 3 messages through Airbnb to clarify the questions I have, I still havent received any response from him other than the original.   Airbnb reminded me that it would affect my rating as a host if I failed to accept or decline within the 24 hour period, but there doesnt seem to be any pressure on the guest to answer reasonable questions before I accept.  Any thoughts?

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Marit-Anne0.  Don't be afraid of sticking to your guns, @Gail136 and if a guest only communicates demands but does respond your questions, you probably do not want them as guests.  You have 3 lovely reviews and the best way to keep getting good reviews is to host guests that will appreciate what you have and not to host those who don't appreciate your place.  Good luck

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Gail136

Very simple - decline before the deadline.  If they are interested, they can re-request.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree with @Marit-Anne0.  Don't be afraid of sticking to your guns, @Gail136 and if a guest only communicates demands but does respond your questions, you probably do not want them as guests.  You have 3 lovely reviews and the best way to keep getting good reviews is to host guests that will appreciate what you have and not to host those who don't appreciate your place.  Good luck

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Marit-Anne0,

In such circumstance (potential guest not responding) I always decline he guest, reason: feel uncomfortable with guest, due to not answerring questions (the feeling you actually also are expressing here).

But i understand you accepted allready, so now it's a confirmed reservation and you have to go for it, unless you cancel and receive penalties from Airbnb.

Best regards, Emiel

Gail136
Level 1
Llangattock, United Kingdom

Thank you for replies and thoughts which are really appreciated.  I have already accepted the booking after 3 warnings from Airbnb about time running out.  On reflection I should have declined and waited to hear, but I shall now impose a time limit myself and if he hasn’t responded within the next 48 hours I shall cancel the booking and face the penalties from Airbnb. At least I have tracked him down through Linked In and a full name on Facebook and so feel happier that he does actually exist!  Thanks again for taking the time to send a reply 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

If you want to stay in the game @Gail136 do not cancel, that is as good as commercial suicide. But perhaps you are on other platforms that bring in the majority of your rental income ?