airbnb Japan requesting Passport and Accessing my Webcam

Rudy76
Level 1
Jakarta Capital Region, Indonesia

airbnb Japan requesting Passport and Accessing my Webcam

Is this normal???

I booked an apartment in Tokyo, Japan. After booking, host sent me message and asked me to submit a copy of my passport and my family who will stay. The host asked me to submit the Passport copies and personal detail thru URL

identity (dot) key-stations (dot) com/reservations/xxxx

(not able to post URL at AirBNB

First, the URL does not belong to AirBNB. But what what the heck, I submitted the passport anyway. I click COMPLETE and the website is asking a permission to access my webcam and mic (I was like WTF??) - but Ok, I'd like to see who's there. Then I got connected with a lady. I said Hello, who are you and what is this? The lady was just silent and I heard Click Click Click, sound of camera from your PC capturing screenshot, possibly screenshot of my face. The lady did not say anything, no introduction, thank you whatsoever and disconnected. I was like ????

Ok, I must be popular or something. But anyway, is this normal method in Japan? The whole thing just freaked me out a bit.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2274/what-should-i-know-about-booking-a-home-in-japan

@Rudy76 travelers in Japan are required to provide a passport copy but I don't know about the Webcam, maybe some host from Japan can elaborate more.