no response from guest before check in

Amy146
Level 2
Oakland, CA

no response from guest before check in

I emailed the guest 2 days ago with instructions how to check in. Then followed up with another email today asking if he received it.  Caring for my cat is included in the rental agreement so I'm concerned that I haven't heard from him. I have a back up plan for someone to feed my cat in case he doesn't show up, but if there anything else I can do to try and get a response? I'm not happy about the silence in communication so am a bit concerned about this person caring for my cat now.

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amy146 

Keep trying, people sometimes do not reply because of travellng or other issues. Try another communication channel (Phone ?) .If totally no respons you can contact Airbnb:

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

thanks, he got back to me so all good!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Amy146   You are crazy to trust a total stranger with your pet.  I would suggest if you intend to rent out your own place on airbnb that you should rehome your cat and not put it in a high risk situation with total strangers who may or may not feed it, let it out or otherwise harm it.  I can't even imagine what you are thinking to do such a thing.

I've done it many times and it's always been great. People love my cat and I will do it again. I screen people before approving the reservation. Hope your day gets better.

@Amy146  Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're having a bad day.

But good to hear that having guests look after the cat has worked out well for you, may it continue to be so.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mark116

IMO you are exaggerating, sorry.

@Emiel1   It only takes one time.  I have had my own family and house guests accidentally let a cat out or lock it in a room.  I truly cannot imagine leaving my pets with total strangers.  In fact, one of the reasons that we don't ever offer a bedroom in our part of the house is because I would never feel comfortable with random people coming and going with the cats around.  And of course there are bad people who don't like animals, people with anger issues.  So we will have to agree to disagree, I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to leave your pet alone in an airbnb with strangers.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1   I don't think @Mark116 is exaggerating. I think it's an utterly bizarre concept to expect an Airbnb guest to look after your pet. That's the sort of thing you find a house or pet sitter for, not a paying guest.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

I have to agree with @Mark116  and @Sarah977  on this one.....

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Amy146

@Sarah977 @Kaylee18 @Mark116 @Emiel1 

@Amy146  Listing very accurately includes mention of looking after her cat and she doesn't have IB, and clearly screens their potential Guests.

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/7852315?source_impression_id=p3_1566007661_Xi9rtnuYfJDsNc62

It would be beneficial if in situations like this that you take a look and read through those who contribute to CC listings before writing!

Her Guests Reviews state an overwhelming positive declaration of enjoying having cared for her cat/s & the cat's company.

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/7852315?source_impression_id=p3_1566007661_Xi9rtnuYfJDsNc62

As an aside, ABB MSG Systems seem to be having IT glitches timelag/ delays this week (What's new??) btwn Hosts & Guest in ABB msg systems.

I had a Guest late IB & they rang asking if it was ok to come at xyz hour as they hadn't heard from me - I didn't get any alerts - and another who hadn't received my msg & I've also not received other alerts I usually do in a timely fashion.

All the best folks

Please no cat fights

@Helen427   I took a look at the listing before hand. Lovely accommodation, and yes I saw she warns her guests before hand and also has instant book turned off for that reason 😉 

Unfortunately it's hard to really "screen" people on this platform. Whose to know someone who says they are okay with cats has never before been charged with animal cruelty, etc. Thankfully it seems like she has been lucky with all amazing and responsible guests! 🙂 

I see A LOT involving people and animals in my line of work and this probably makes me more skeptical to leave my animals with strangers. But to each their own! 🙂 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Kaylee18 

I agree, yes it pays to screen anyone who one intends to entrust with the care of animals.

There was a horrendous case of a NZ citizen a few years ago involving Rabbits and unlawful acts in Sydney, Australia and he came back to NZ & continued on his offending here.

He befriended an animal lover deviously through Facebook and they were mortified when they found out his history.

He has a record with Mental Health Services and not a Criminal record for his unlawful behaviours.

Some who are cruel to animals are also cruel to other human beings.

He comes from a family with money but not a good reputation.

Thankfully none of this involves ABB users.

All the best