some number crunching... How much laundry costs to expect/bed.

Aram135
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

some number crunching... How much laundry costs to expect/bed.

I'm thinking about diving into the STR world.  Besides knowing how many days a month a i can book, how much laundry i'll need to have done seems to be the biggest unknown.   

I noticed many hosts don't put comforters on the beds.  That's fine in Los Angeles during summer but do i put comforters out on each bed during winter?  Sheets and pillow cases obviously all need to get washed after every guest.  I'm assuming Pillows all have to get washed too?  Don't want to do all this laundry myself. Washing comforters and pillows, along with all the sheets, towels, blankets, robe(s)... it's starting to add up quick.  

What should i expect for this kind of laundry expense on a monthly bases.  Of course the more guest turn around there is a month the higher the cost.  I have no idea what is a realistic estimation on how many different guests i'll have a month either. lol   

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to find this out is to get three or four quotes from local suppliers @Aram135 

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

I'm in the UK, so our bedding is a bit different from the US norm. We provide a duvet with a washable cover rather than a comforter. That way, it's less bulky to wash after each guest as you only wash the duvet cover, not the duvet itself. Maybe you can make / buy removable covers for your comforters, that way you can also reduce the amount of laundry as you won't need to wash bulky comforters each time. I usually wash the duvets every month, or more often when a guest has spilled something.

The other thing you must do is to use mattress protectors and pillow protectors, preferably water-resistant ones. That way you avoid getting nasty stains on mattresses and pillows, and you will not need to wash pillows between guests.

Karyn90
Level 2
Beech Mountain, NC

We use comforter covers.. washed after each guest ..comforter gets washed every month or as needed. washable pillow protectors under the pillow cases to stop stains and eliminate the need to wash pillows    we also use a mattress encasement that is washable and waterproof all available on Amazon at a very reasonable price.. all done in one large wash with sheets and pillow cases.. most if

not all this cost is added into the cleaning charge 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Obviously the more business you do the bigger your laundry bill gets, We used to have a few properties and when you sit down and look at your accounts and see how much you are spending on laundry it's huge.

What we did we had an empty shop on a main road so my husband converted it into a laundry now we save a fortune plus we get local business in the laundry we own the shop so we have no rent to pay, 

The laundry it self is very successful really good local trade.800px_COLOURBOX35678571.jpg

Aram135
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for the great suggestions! 🤗