Airbnb has the worst possible customer service ever. I recommend never listing with airbnb

Airbnb has the worst possible customer service ever. I recommend never listing with airbnb

I had a guest that left the house smelling of smoke, marijuana, and theft.

Airbnb did absolutely nothing to help.  I have spent two weeks of no 

communication from airbnb.

They will make you feel like your the criminal.

Then after weeks of aggrevation they will deny the claims stating they did not have enough information.

There is no direction or communication.

Your house is extreme open to anything that a guest might do to it.  There is no reprocautions.

Then when a guest smells smoke in your house they rate you low and block you.

Its a horrible experience!!!!

5 Comments
Fabiana71
Level 1

I had same issue. Unfortunately ehen you csll airbnb with a serious guest issue, all they do is to say you soove the issue, and if the guest leave earlier you wont receive the money the hould be accounted for.

They are all about giving guests second chances, but if you say overnight guest, heavy drinking and drugs are not allowed in your house rules, and the guests need to accept that, only this by infinging the house rules are enough motive for them to leave without any refund. Airbnb has been ridiculous lately. I started eith them 2y ago and they changed a lot. It is ridiculous.

Fabiana71
Level 1

I had same issue. Unfortunately ehen you call airbnb with a serious guest issue, all they do is to say you solve the issue, and if the guest leave earlier you wont receive the money they should be accounted for.

They are all about giving guests second chances, but if you say overnight guest, heavy drinking and drugs are not allowed in your house rules, and the guests need to accept that when they book, they are already infinging the house rules. It is enough motive for you to have your guest to leave asap and not get a penny back. Airbnb has been ridiculous lately. I started with them 2y ago and they changed a lot. It is ridiculous.

Pano0
Level 2

I am sorry but I am not familiar with the scent of theft. 😛

In any case though, Airbnb is currently experience a huge amount of requests from all over the world regarding claims from hosts and I don't think they have the workforce to process this amount of work. I have had this experience and matters were resolved after a few weeks. They cannot remove a scent..since you cannot prove one exists as well @Douglas90. But what they can do is to ask from the guest to compensate you (through the company if you wish) in case the guests have broken your house rules (e.g. smoking in a non-smoking house).

I have been with Airbnb for 5 years. They have changed I totally agree with @Fabiana71..and they probably seem to be taking a turn towards commercialization, but I also understand that more and more people are hosting for Airbnb without being willing to commit to that and are constantly finding things to complain about. These forums are proof of that, I only wished that things would change.

Airbnb is about kindness.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10

I agree @Pano0:  Airbnb is about kindness.  On the other hand, if they're growing too fast, Airbnb has the control to throttle down the rate of growth - if they choose to recognize that their company is growing too fast.  We have been victims of Airbnb's "test" based on potential discrimination of Guests of color - when we've never discriminated.  This "test" that wouldn't allow us to see our booking Guest resulted in forcing us to host Guests that didn't meet our minimum age requirement of 25 years.  And then, after reaching out to Airbnb to request they tell us that they met the minimum age, which Airbnb refused to do, we received a notice from Airbnb claiming that we had conducted age discrimination.  Yes, Airbnb is growing fast and most of us do want the company to maintain its original philosophy of "house sharing" and "building community," but I see Airbnb choosing to allow the market to control which direction Airbnb moves; which is disheartening.  When we put a lot of time, energy, and kindness into our hosting - to give visitors from all over the world - the best possible experience, I really don't appreciate being treated like a criminal with no documentation or proof of their claims or tests (which we've experienced twice now).  If Hosts and Guests are expected to have integrity, Airbnb should also demonstrate its integrity. 

Robyn117
Level 1

Our home was violated in Melbourne 18 days, including deliberate property damage and theft from our locked cupboards (in excess of $10,000). The guest also left a car with stolen number plates in our carport which we had to remove ourselves. The police have been very co-operative but AirBNB have not replied to any of our 6 phone calls or emails and have failed to contact the police who are requesting the guests details in order to charge him with criminal offences. 

Speaking to other hosts this appears to be a common story of negligence on the part of AirBNB. Very disappointing and it appears the only course of action is now to use social media to alert other hosts and the communication team at AirBNB that we have had no response from the Trust and Security team. Our building is now unsecured due to the guests failing to return any of the security fobs and we need to be assured AirBNB will cover the cost of $3,500 to reconfigure the system to secure the 18 apartments in our building.