Private rooms vs and suites with separate entrances vs entire homes

Lindsay5
Level 2
New Westminster, Canada

Private rooms vs and suites with separate entrances vs entire homes

Hi there!

We have a 2 bedroom section of the lower floor of our house with a kitchenette (no range). It has a separate entrance and 2 bathrooms. Guests need not ever see us if they don't want to, but there is also an interior staircase to our space and a shared laundry. It seems that there are a number of listings like these (carriage houses, outbuildings and studios, etc). And in fact, when we look to travel with Airbnb, these are the types of listings that appeal to us the most -- looking for an interactive experience with hosts and laundry, multiple bedrooms and basic cooking facilities while remaining private.

Is there a way to differentiate that we are neither a private room nor an entire house? No matter how detailed the description we offer, some guests are suprised we even have bathrooms for them and others are frustrated that they didn't book an entire home with no hosts present. 

Thanks for listening!

Lindsay and Michael

12 Replies 12
Mary-and-Jeff1
Level 3
San Diego, CA

EXCELLENT Suggestion - We are in the same situation.  We have a lovely room with private entrance and many of our guests come and go and we never see them after check-in.  

2 Suggestions:  

1)  Have a additional choice with private entrance or

2)  Add Private entrance into the "Filters" section so it can be selected for.

PLEASE ! ! ! !  This will save me so ooo much time when I am looking for a palce to book myself.

Corinne-and-Jonathan0
Level 2
Blowing Rock, NC

I completely agree. Jeff & Mary make great recommendations as well. We have a 2-bedroom suite with bathroom that has a separate entrance. There is no way to show in the posting that it is 2 bedrooms (I have to note it in the title and description), and no way to show the separate entrance. Would love a way to show that!

My problem exactly! Waiting for an answer.  

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

So maybe there should be five or more categories:

1. Private room /w shared bath
  2. Private room & bath, shared entrance
  3. Private room w/ en-suite bath, shared entrance
  4. Private suite w/ bath and private entrance
  5. Entire house/apt

I wrote to Airbnb about this but I never heard back.

I host an “entire house/apt” separate apartment with two (front & back) entrances built as a granny unit with a kitchen at my home.  But I share a yard, garage and a washing machine with my guests so what is that?  It is hard to fit in the options available and a lot of the options just don't apply - like "private bathroom" and "breakfast".  Because of course it goes without saying the bathroom is private ... and no, you have your own kitchen so I don't enter your private apartment to serve you breakfast!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Simon-and-Ana0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree. We have a log cabin in our garden for guests, it has its own bathroom and kitchenette.

Up til now we've listed it as an 'entire home' but the new 90 day limit in London means we'll have to list it as a 'private room' or be limited to 90 days rental per year.  The problem with doing this is that our viewings have dropped from 30ish per day to 3ish  per day as people who are filtering for an entire home dont even see our listing.

Olaf-Reinhard0
Level 2
San José, Costa Rica

Will airbnb please finally answer?

Having this problem also - for a long time now.  

Lauren189
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

This would save so much time when looking for a listing. Please Airbnb, add the 'separate entrance' under filters.

Pamela149
Level 2
Oakland Park, FL

I have been wondering about this myself.  My place is just a room and a bathroom with a private entrance, but I have a table and chairs and a kitchenette set up - buffet with microwave, keurig, toaster, paper plates & cups, etc. and a full size refrigerator.  There is no access to the rest of the house.  There is no kitchen sink, just the sink in the bathroom, so I supply paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc.  So, I don't want to mislead people but I wonder if I should call it "entire place"? 

Me too / identical situation 

Heidi-and-John0
Level 2
St Albans, United Kingdom

Same boat here. I get pricing suggestions and reminders that we'd have more takers if we lower our price, and then suggestions of other places in the area with lower prices, but these are just rooms in a house. I would think even just a bedroom with its own private entrance would be more money than a room in a house with shared entrance, etc., but I have changed my listing category so there's no confusion that it's a full home.

How do others here price this type of listing?