The pay of HOME SERVECES it can be separate???

The pay of HOME SERVECES it can be separate???

Every nonth all houses need to pay a bill for water electricity gas wifi cable maintainement Soo most of the time is about 150$ more from the rent price.  I Think that this price it have not to be included in the Rental Price YoU must separate this services cost because every guest doesnt expendvthe same water or electricity....or telephone..and it charge to me i have to pay to much money and decreases my the rental incone.

4 Comments
Cormac0
Level 10

@Elsa38

These costs are called overheads and are usually split between Fixed and Variable cost and should be factored into your price, I stated on several occasions that based on the Host around me and the price there charging they could not be making money and are probably running at a loss.

During the winter months, there is an inverse relationship between sales price and costs, Demand and hence sales price is down and heating & electricity usage is up... colder and shorter day light hours.

In setting your price you should consider you yearly overheads and insure your recovering you costs in the price you charge to maximise your return.

As I see it one of the problems with Airbnb vis-a-vis pricing is the amount of variability of properties and location which should lead Airbnb to develop a more sophisticated pricing methodology incorporating your suggestion.

Anecdotally when I ask a guest to please turn off the heat when she went out, the young lady explain to me that it was cheaper to leave the heat on all the time as its was cheaper then turning it on and off, what she did not realise is that I had done the computations and understood that keeping the heat on yielded an 20% saving on average cost then turning it on and off but the other 80% I had to pay for, when nobody was actually in the apartment. My apartment was comfortable warm for at least two days after she left without any heat on. 

Rosita8
Level 1

I do think AirBNB should allow space for a more detailed pricing description, where we the hosts can include daily water and electricity charges, as some guests will use the heating on all day and change the temperature settings, as well as the AC during the summer by running the fan high and temperature low...all these settings cannot be fixed to a default setting if they have the remote control.  In my case, the studio has a fire place too, so I have added in the description that there will be a charge for wood/pinecones for the fireplace, as well as use of the heating system (as well as AC in the Summer) when in excess of what is considered normal.   It would be better to collect water and power charges with the AirBNB pay, rather than expect to collect overage use personally with the guest.  Who might not want to pay....and then you are stuck with the bill.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Kirstie
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived