A Guest wants to leave a week early, but I've already been paid out for the entire stay

Rebecca76
Level 1
Columbus, OH

A Guest wants to leave a week early, but I've already been paid out for the entire stay

Hey!

So I have a guest that booked a room for over two weeks and now wants to leave a week in because his work changed and he no longer needs to be here. I've already been paid out for the entire length of his 24 hours after check in. If I approve the reservation change, will airbnb take the money out of my checking account? Or how does that work to refund the guest. 

I've already spent the money I earned because I had to pay for tuition. Please help!

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They took it off the next booking when i had something similar happen.

David
Lucy43
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm fairly new to AirBnB & my guests who booked a couple of months ago now tell me they are leaving early but don't want to cancel or amend the booking as they got a good discount for a long stay. I have changed my pricing since they booked (once I realised how little I'd end up with!) so they think it will cost them more money. If I cancel the booking I think I will be penalised. How can I advertise the room when it is blocked out for their stay until the end of August? I'm happy to refund them as I think I'll do better with a few short bookings. Any ideas?

Thanks

If they do not cancel only thing would be a separate listing.

David

II have had a guest stay with special offer including rides and evryday I ask if he needs anything and he  reassures me he is fine. Now, 5th night here, he has found a friend here in town and wishes to leave one night early and a refund for the last night. It has nothing to do with the home or other issues but he asked this at 11 PM and said hes leaving tomorrow morning at 7:45 AM. I'm actually upset due to my curtiousness/special offer plus its last minute and I don't want a bad review. He rented the basement couch and there are 2 to choose from. Can he leave a bad review if /i don't refund him, or should I simply say "sorry, but I am unable to refund your last night here at such late notice when I have asked everyday how you have been sleeping, do you need anything etc?" I even have a comments/suggestion book by the door for guests to inquire. But...its last minute and no notice...I'm still new but would you refund if you are in fear of bad review? can he leave a bad review?

Firstly - once he checks in, you do not have to refund him anything, nor do I think you should.  Why should you lose a night's fee just because he decides to stay with a friend.  I know this post is 2 weeks old, but if this happened to me, I would just politely say "so sorry you cannot stay longer" and leave it at that.

Regarding the review - just do not leave him a review.  If he does, and you do not reply, his review is not made public.

Gladys8
Level 4
Orlando, FL

If it's a work change, the guest's company will pick up the tab he has already paid because it is a work decision, so he will not lose out.

Hello all, I have a guest who has booked for 3.5 weeks. He just sent a request to change the reservation cutting the stay short 8 days. I have already been paid out the full amount. If I refund how does this work? Does Airbnb pull out of my account? (I understand that I am not obligated to refund but just curious how this works). I can't seem to find this info in the FAQs. Thanks for the help! 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anne12118 

The refund will be deducted from your next payout.

Your cancellation policy will calculate the refund (If any) automatically.

You are not obliged to accept a shortening of the reservation, but a guest can cancel the reservation any time. You can also shorten the reservation yourself ("change" option), then having the option to amend the calculated price in the price-field of the change form to what you consider a reasonable deal.