Airbnb and host ripped me off

Ram1871
Level 1
Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ

Airbnb and host ripped me off

So I was traveling to Mumbai and while transiting through Dubai  ,the Indian government changed the rules due to the Omni Cron variant. The Indian government wanted to do 14 day institutional quarantine. If I had been quarantined my old vacation would be in an apartment that the government selects And not at the Airbnb. So I decided to cancel the reservation one day before. As expected Airbnb refunded me the cleaning fees and nothing else. 

However what was interesting is that the host said that he would consider offering me a refund but Airbnb God involved in between and told me in a message that the host will not refund essentially lying to me about the hosts intention. These kinds of messages kept happening for a while and I did not know whether to trust Airbnb or the host. I did not expect Airbnb to play these dirty politics and even try to influence the host in a manner so that I don’t get any refund. I also looked at the terms and conditions and I am entitled to a full refund which Airbnb won’t acknowledge

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

A couple of things, @Ram1871 . You say at first that you expected only the cleaning fees to be refunded -- was that per the listing's cancellation policy? Then later you say the terms and conditions state you are owed a refund. Was it, then, a flexible policy and you cancelled more than 24 hours before check-in? 

Airbnb does not influence hosts not to refund, at least not in my experience. Quite the contrary. But if you can clarify what the cancellation policy was, and at what time you cancelled, maybe someone can help determine whether you are right about being owed a refund. 

Otherwise, this sounds as if it should be covered by your travel insurance. What did they say?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ram1871 its unfortunate but in these uncertain times both guests and hosts are left holding the bag. I would be very careful to buy travel insurance for any upcoming visits that covers cancellations due to COVID. Be mindful-- they don't all cover it. 

Airbnb is a source of income and a business. Though guests may feel its a great way to connect with people from another culture or geographic area, many hosts actually need the income. A last minute cancel, no matter what the reason, may throw that individual's finances into disarray. I don't feel from your description that you got "ripped off" but that the host was within their right to decide if they could re-book the place and recoup the loss, and thus refund you. It sounds like after consideration they were not able to do so. In the face of all of these factors, perhaps traveling with insurance and staying at hotels with deeper pockets might be advisable. Best of luck!

@Lawrene0 

I would be inclined to believe the host.

Airbnb does not want to refund their fees and that is not likely to happen, but the host might agree to refund their payout if they can rebook, or just because they are sympathetic.

In any case, the host would probably like to know what you are being told by Airbnb, and maybe things will work out for both of you if you maintain a positive relationship.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ram1871  No, Airbnb didn't prevent the host from refunding you. Hosts can refund guests whatever amount they choose whenever they want to. 

Either this host is being dishonest with you, telling you they are willing to refund, but telling Airbnb they are not, or the host is just clueless about how to refund outside of the cancellation policy.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ram1871 I don't believe there is anything Airbnb can or will do to prevent a host from refunding any part of the host's rental fee to a guest. (But the host does not control the disposition of Airbnb's service fees.) So if you have not been refunded the rental fee then I would believe Airbnb in this case-- the host may have been disingenous or just changed their mind.

As others have noted your post is somewhat unclear. What accounts for the change in your perception of your refund due?

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The name is " Omicron" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omicron
ABB has no reason to prevent refundings.  They will keep their fee anyway.