Airbnb needs to fix their star rating problems!

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

Airbnb needs to fix their star rating problems!

brian.pngThis is totally unfair, and I really hate that Airbnb considers anything less than 5 stars a bad rating. I've read of people's accounts being suspended for bad star ratings..... If they write you a good review but give you less than 5 stars, you should be able to appeal it.
It would be nice if Airbnb either eased up on the hosts or let the guests know how much their star rating will effect the host.

87 Replies 87
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

This might be a great time to educate your guest on how the star rating work so he might be more inclined to give a 5-star to his future guests.

@ Cynthia & Chris -I've thought about that, but I don't want to come accross as pushy or passive agressive. I was even thinking of having a small note written so that all my guests could see it before they give their final rating... but again... how would I write it so that it dosn't put them off?

@Nicole158

It is definitely an unfortunate system. We have sent a message to every one of our over 300 guests after check-out thanking them for staying and explaining the importance of 5-stars. We have had one person complain about the message. Think about it as a business. It's ok to stand up for yourself and make sure guests understand the way star ratings work. If they hate your place it's not like your message will change their mind. But if they love your place and are either just being stingy or think 4 stars is amazing (which happens A LOT) they will be inclined to up it to 5! Good luck.

The thing is, really, that guest's star ratings should be published as well. Also, it is really unjust that some guests don't rate according to the description of a listing but rather in "absolute" terms, which means that although your listing's information about distance to city center (plus number of minutes it takes to take a bus or tram to city center) is 100 per cent correct, this does not count and you might get a 3-star rating nonetheless. I think that all ratings below 5 should need to be justified by the guest and this information should be available to hosts. When the host can substantiate that the reason for this lower rating is not true, then the lower rating should be corrected. But, of course, this would take way too much human manpower...

I got a one star out of mostly 5 stars for years because the guest had asthma and booked mypet friendly condo. The place was clean but some are sensitive I get it . But why did they book a pet friendly condo then rate me one star. I lost superhost. It is not fair as there are no guidelines for # stars.  My last guest rated 2 stars for clean althought they said the place was clean but the pots were disorganized in the pantry. Really?  maybe 4 stars.. but 2? the star system is stacked against the owners. I rate guests better than they deserve because I suspect the system is skewed against owners who complain aobut guests.

Want to share my support of your suspicion, the system is skewed against complaints against guest; all the while getting prompts to be honest. I have 26 -(4) star reviews of which (7) are rated all (5) stars with compliments attached and positive written reviews. Put in a call and the operator was clearly uneducated as to how to address my questions. However, i did get a mysterious communication from the previous guest, whom I rated (5) star, but honestly wrote: "left our space clean with a hint of herb". 

We happened to be not so picky about certain rules broken, clean up properly for the next guest, move on. Smoking inside seems to be a reason to gently alert host.

Can you share the message you send your guests about the rating system?

May I ask what the message was that you sent? How did you word it? I’m not sure how to ask them/explain. 
thanks!

Hi Brittany,
I was also thinking about sending our guests a message explaining about the review rating.
Do you mind to share with us the format of the message you are sending to your guests before leaving a review?
Thank you so much.

At the end of the printed "welcome letter" I put in the guest room, I write, "We strive for 5-star reviews, so please let us know if we can do anything to make your stay a little better!"  I think this sets the expectation for the rating we desire and gives the guest an open door to come to us if they need anything else (more towels, a spare toothbrush, dinner recommendations, etc.)

I agree that the whole system is a bit of a joke, and I occasional have a laugh about it with people who stay here.

Probably best to ignore it, otherwise you will after awhile suffer burn out.

You are doing it for the money not the stars.

My genral observation is that people read the last few reviews and then maybe look at the stars, after they have worked out price and location.

David

This doesn’t set you up to be a doormat?

I wrote this: We know we’re not a 5-star hotel but we sure hope you’re having a 5-star experience! We reward 5 stars to all our guests and hope you’ll kindly return the favor.

Great!