Asked to leave a review for a quest who canceled

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Asked to leave a review for a quest who canceled

I had a guest booked in for yesterday 26th June '17. Received a message in the morning stating due to illness unable to travel and at mid-day received a message from AirBnB that a full refund had been issued 4hrs before check in, even though moderation policy but understandable due to illness.

Now, just received a request from AirBnB to give a review

"Rate your experience with *****

You can leave a review for your guest even though the trip was cancelled. We won’t share your review until after Heidi leaves feedback for you"

How can I write a review about someone whom I never met? and more to the point how can they write a review about a place they have not seen or about me whom they have never met

This is crazy, especially if they leave a poor star rating

As I side note in the messages I did express my sympathy that she was unwell and that as a good will gesture will give a discount on her next booking if she chose to visit home town

Confused Chris

23 Replies 23
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I've noticed on guest profiles a couple of times a little notification that guest had cancelled X time(s) within the last 12 mths. Question is whether that then disappears after 12 months...

It was very lovely meeting you in person recently @Marit-Anne0!

Likewise @Andrea9 - a rendevouz in Amsterdam ! And it was lovely to get out of the most touristy part of Amsterdam.  Now I am willing to give the city another chance.  

Good to know that there is a hint for us hosts that a guest has done previous cancellations.  With the new cancellation policies, cancellations are more likely to happen. And I suspect the "better" our cancellation policy, the higher we are ranked in search results - just to put us in a tight squeeze.

Wendy191
Level 1
Daytona Beach, FL

So what happens if we ignore the feedback prompt?

@Wendy191

Nothing happens.

Vernon9
Level 3
Dallas, TX

This is CRAZY!!  The same thing happened to me today.  I had a guest book yesterday then cancel on the same day.  Now I am being asked to leave a review and assume that Airbnb is telling her to reveiw ME!  How do you review someone who you never met?  How can they review a space that they never stayed in?  I spoke for over a half an hour to a Supervisor at Airbnb arguing my case.  He said that he understood but there was a REASON that Airbnb had put that clause into their most recent update.  When I asked him what the reason was, he could not tell me.  

This stupid move by Airbnb ranks right up there with guests being able to rate me on location.  They know within a few blocks as to where my space is.  Why should they be able to lower my star ratings on location because they are not near their friend's house in another city?  THEY picked the place where they are staying.  If they wanted to be near their friend in another city, they should have stayed in the other city!  But this is a different problem...  

Happened again yesterday.  Bet they get to leave a review later today even though they NEVER SAW OR SET FOOT ON THE PROPERTY!  Something needs to be done about this, ESPECIALLY if they are going to raise the standards to be a Superhost.  ONE PERSON like this can TAKE YOU DOWN!!  Get it together, Airbnb!

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

Cancellation and Review:  A guest/group did an instant book one day before their arrival and then on the day of their arrival and approximately 2 hours before checking it, they sent a message that said "I need to cancel".  (I offer a flexible cancellation policy)  So, even though they were a no show at my front door, I received payment and was asked to give a review.   In their review, I simply wrote; "Unfortunately (name of person) for reasons unknown cancelled".  "I can't justify writing a review for someone I didn't have the opportunity to meet."  I submitted my review w/o giving a thumbs up/down on Cleanliness, Communication, Obsrvance of House Rules, nor would you recommend these guests?   I'm hoping this won't affect my status.  Shirley

Cancellation and Review:  Heads up, I would like to add that when I received the message  that said "I need to cancel".  I messaged back and said that it would be best if they cancelled through Airbnb.  I read in one of the many threads that it was suggested to never never cancel on behalf of a guest, because it is not in your best interest and can/will work against you.

David-Erik0
Level 6
Berlin, DE

Today is happened the same to me. I do not care about reviews, but I care about rating 'cause AirBnB do not verify it and use it to calculate my kpi. 

The fact that such kind of reviews are allowed, it's smply absurd.