Breaking House Rules - How to Evict and Do they Get a Refund

Todd31
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Breaking House Rules - How to Evict and Do they Get a Refund

I have a guest which is breaking my house rule for no pets. In my rules it specifically states no pets and they asked me verbally when they arrived and I told them no pets were allowed. I now find out they have pets with them and they still have two weeks left of their rental period.

Can I evict them for this and if so what is the process?

Also, do they get any portion of their remaining stay refunded if they are evicted for breaking rules?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Todd31  Your listing is clear and your cancellation policy is strict.  In an Air BNB message, advise the guest the pet is not allowed per the house rules and you will be contacting Air BNB to request relocation more suitable to their needs.  Contact Air BNB ASAP to start the process.  Please understand that you are not "evicting" the guest but you are requesting a relocation by Air BNB.  Your calendar will be opened for the remaining dates of the reservation.

Do I have to refund part or all of the remaining days when AirBnB "relocates" the guest to a pet friendly location?

@Todd31  Thats entirely up to you as the host.  IF the guests starts a resolution request to receive some of their money back, then you can either approve it for a certain amount or 100% of the money, whatever makes you happy or you can decline.  But definitely take the time to write a message either way.  I recently just had someone violate a major rule in our home listing while staying with us, and we gave him a polite but stern warning again about bringing strangers to our home again without our permission or he would have to leave and forfeit all of his money.  He chose to follow the rules for the rest of his stay.   Its so disturbing that we ask guests to follow our rules prior to coming and they choose to do otherwise.  Had he asked for permission beforehand  as stated in our House Rules to invite his friends over who live here in Hawaii, that would have been different.   Your guests are blantantly going out of their way to break your rules and pets is a serious matter for every host.  They need to stay elsewhere.  Definitely follow the awesome advice by @Linda108 and contact Airbnb immediately.  Hope you have.  And take photos of your property for any potential pet damage to file claim against their security deposit if your listing had one.  If it doesn't, make sure you add a security deposit for future guests.  Good Luck and let us know how it all works out.  Aloha, Momi - Superhost in Hawaii

p.s.  I gave our guests visitors a bag of delicious managos from our tree to show our Aloha Spirit while they were at our home.  (even though we didnt' know they were at our home to begin with)  - Superhost Style  😉 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook